"I requested that he might be retained"

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 25, 2006
      As I stated before, Thomas did *not* refuse. At least, he did not say
      so shortly after the fact. He wrote to Halleck [the full OR is
      below]: "This order reached me just as General Buell had by most
      extraordinary exertions prepared his army to pursue and drive the
      rebels from Kentucky. Feeling convinced that great injustice would be
      done him if not permitted to carry out his plans I requested that he
      might be retained in command."

      Thomas, thus, mentioned both the injustice to Buell and the imminent
      advance.

      Halleck wrote to Thomas: "When it was determined to relieve General
      Buell another person was spoken of as his successor and it was through
      my repeated solicitation that you were appointed. you having virtually
      declined the command at that time it was necessary to appoint another,
      and General Rosecrans was selected." Ignoring the phrase, "virtually
      declined," for now, it's interesting how Halleck asserts that "at that
      time it was necessary to appoint another." Thomas' request was made
      well before Rosecrans was appointed. There was no real reason why
      Thomas could not have been tapped at this point.

      I think that the real reason was that, after Rosecrans' victories at
      Iuka and Corinth, he had to be rewarded, but that Grant didn't want
      him in his department. Rosecrans was given Buell's job instead.

      Joseph

      *CAMP NEAR CAMPBELLSVILLE, KY., October 30, 1862. Major General H. W.
      HALLECK, Commander-in-Chief U. S. Army, Washington, D. C.: GENERAL:
      Soon after coming to Kentucky in 1861 I urged the Government to give
      me 20,000 men properly equipped to take the field that I might at
      least make the attempt to take Knoxville and secure East Tennessee. My
      suggestions were not listened to, bi there passed by in silence. Yet,
      without boasting, I believe I have exhibited at least sufficient
      energy to show that I had been intrusted with the command of that
      expedition at that time (October, 1861) I might have conducted it
      successfully. Before Corinth I was the command of the right wing of
      the Army of the Tennessee. I feel confident that I performed my duty
      patriotically and faithfully and with a reasonable amount of credit to
      myself. As soon as the emergency was over I was relieved and returned
      to the command of my old division. I went to duties without a murmur,
      as I am neither ambitious nor have any political aspirations.On the
      29th of last September I received an ordered through your aid, Colonel
      McKibbin, placing me in command of the Department of Tennessee, and
      directing General Buell to turn over his troops to me. This order
      reached me just as General Buell had by most extraordinary exertions
      prepared his army to pursue and drive the rebels from Kentucky.
      Feeling convinced that great injustice would be done him if not
      permitted to carry out his plans I requested that he might be retained
      in command. The order relieving him was suspended, but to day I am
      officially informed that he is relieved by General Rosecrans, yet
      feeling conscious that no just cause exists for overs laughing me by
      placing me under my junior, I feel deeply mortified and aggrieved at
      the action taken in this matter.I am, general, very respectfully, your
      obedient servant, GEO, H. THOMAS, Major-General, U. S. Volunteers. I
      do not desire the command of the Department of the Tennessee but that
      an officer senior to me in rank should be sent here if I am retained
      on duty in it. GEO. H. THOMAS. *
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 3, 2006
        In a message dated 2/3/2006 10:41:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, clarkc@... writes:
        Now, here's a challenge!

        Forts Henry and Donelson
        New Orleans
        Shiloh
        Perryville -> Murfreesboro
        Vicksburg
        Tullahoma -> Chickamauga
        Chattanooga
        Atlanta
        Red River
        March to the Sea
        Hood -> Franklin -> Nashville
        Savannah -> Carolinas -> Durham

        HankC
        Hank,
        You forgot Richmond, Iuka, Corinth, Secessionville, Ft McAllister, and Bentonville. Although you may have included the last three in Savannah and the Carolinas.

        JEJ