Fwd: [civilwarwest] Re; John Corse Bio

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2006
      In a message dated 1/25/2006 12:14:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:
      Thanks, Bob, I enjoyed that.  I have just read Footes acdount of the
      action at Altoona.  Corse reports to Sherman that though he has lost a
      cheek bone and an ear he will hold on.  After the battle Sherman notes
      that there is only a small bandage on Corse's cheek and the ear is
      still intact.  The remaval the bandage reveals only a flesh wound
      whereas Sherman remarks, "Well Corse, it looks like they damn near
      missed you."
      Bill Bruner
      Also Bill, when with the 40th Illinois leading the charge up Tunnel Hill at Missionary Ridge, Corse received a minor flesh wound to the leg, but let himself be carried off the field.  At that time, Corse was regimental commander of the 6th Iowa and also the brigade commander.  Col. Henry C. Walcutt of the 46th Ohio remained Brigade Commander until July 1865.
      There were some letters from those at the battle, that felt his wound was too minor to leave the field.

      JEJ