Re; Refuse command

  • endeavorgot
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24 8:16 PM
      Bill Gower writes

      The point of the illustration was not the garbage but the fact that
      there is
      very little difference between decline and refuse.

      Bill

      Please. I never thought garbage was was the issue.

      In the early days of television I remember Senate hearings into
      organized crime. I think all of these hoodlems claimed the
      protection of the fifth ammendment (I alludded to the fifth in my
      original post on this subj.) Some would say that they REFUSED to
      answer on the grounds that their answer may incriminate them. This
      outraged the Senators and a great bruhaha ensued. The Senators
      seemed to feel that for these hoodlums to REFUSE was arrogant and
      rude. Henceforth (under advice of counsel,I'm sure) these witnesses
      DECLINED to answer and the Sens. Were somewhat mollified.

      Dang, I'm not exactly sure what my point is.....except that maybe
      I'm trying to say that the choice of words matter even the choice of
      synonyms
      Bill Bruner