RE: [civilwarwest] Shermans numbers and Shiloh

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2001
      I agree with your analysis.

      However, even though I am a fan of Uncle Billy's, there were limits on the
      ability of *either* side to fully mobilize, even if the leadership had
      recognized the need.

      The mobilization of the American armies in 1861 is something of a miracle.
      With the greater industrialization of the 20th Century, we did not come
      anywhere near it. In 1917, there had been for years a general staff and
      staff college which had prepared mobilization plans and there had been a
      partial mobilization the previous year to combat Poncho Villa. But the Army
      only tripled in size in the same length of time that the Civil War United
      States Army increased to 27 times its size.

      At the start of 1861, the army had about 15,000 men and 1,000 officers. The
      first call went out on April 15 and by August 3, the US Army had 460,000 men
      mustered in (122 OR 455-456).

      And at the same time, the PACS, using the same base, had also grown. I can
      not find a strength report to directly compare with the August 3, 1861 US
      one, but on September 30 the Confederates had mustered in 254 regiments --
      probably in excess of 200,000 men, and a report to Samuel Cooper remarked
      that there were numerous other regiments and independent companies. (127 OR
      626-631)

      So the American people increased their army from 16,000 to 3/4 of a million
      men in a space of three months!

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6276 Adco@...

      We have been discussing Sherman's numbers, and going in to
      April, my thoughts start to drift towards Shiloh.
      Now lets say they decided to liston to Sherman and send 200000 men to the
      west.100000 for Grant,and 100000 for Buell
      (Sherman still went crazy). How would the battle of Shiloh gone
      with those numbers. The point being that one of the Norths big advantages
      was much more man power than the south.From the North and a endless supply
      from Europe if need be.
      This I think Sherman was talking about,and the North could have shorten the
      war if it had only activated and outragously
      huge Army,that the South could never have compited with, know matter how
      great there Generals were.This was very possible
      from the start. The Baron