Vicksburg garrison

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2006
      Mr. Smith:

      On Civilwarhome.com, we have confirmation for my numbers which
      originally came from Confederate Military History, Vol. 7, Chapter IX.

      There is also The West Point Atlas of American War. Check out
      http://www.military.com/Resources/HistorySubmittedFileView?file=history_civilwar_west_maps.htm
      if you'd like.

      Do you really think that all of the men paroled after the capture of
      Vicksburg were *effectives*? I would think that this would have been
      highly, highly unlikely. It would have been quite unusual to find any
      army in the field with 100% or so effectives, but the base of an army
      would almost undoubtedly have a much larger proportion of non-fighting
      soldiers.

      The blind acceptance of the higher number, without qualifying it
      whatsoever, does not seem reasonable.

      Joseph