B.H. Liddell Hart and W. T. Sherman

  • Bill Gower
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2006

      B. H. Liddell Hart, a brilliant historian and military theorist, considered Sherman, the dominant military genius of the Civil War.  Has anyone read his book about Sherman ?  From what I have heard, it is considered to be a very insightful book.  I would love to hear those that hate Sherman deal with this book.  I would also like to see their credentials and see if they come close to comparing to B.H. Liddell Hart.

      Bill

    • josepharose
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...> wrote:

        > B. H. Liddell Hart, a brilliant historian and military theorist,
        considered
        > Sherman, the dominant military genius of the Civil War. Has anyone
        read his
        > book about Sherman? From what I have heard, it is considered to be
        a very
        > insightful book. I would love to hear those that hate Sherman deal with
        > this book. I would also like to see their credentials and see if
        they come
        > close to comparing to B.H. Liddell Hart.
        >
        > Bill

        Mr. Gower:

        I'm sorry that my credentials don't match up to those of Liddell Hart,
        but he wrote that Sherman "argued that, to safeguard this and drive
        out the Confederates, sixty thousand men were needed at once, and that
        to undertake a wider offensive two hundred thousand would be
        necessary." and that the two hundred thousand would be "necessary to
        conquer the Mississippi Valley down to the Gulf of Mexico."

        As I have shown by Sherman's own correspondence, which you can read at
        will on Amazon.com, this is utterly false. He took a major failing of
        Sherman's and reversed it into a positive attribute. Sherman's
        reputation, in large part, is founded on such claptrap.

        I think that Castel also did a number on Liddell Hart's scholarship
        and that this was discussed here in the past, IIRC.

        Joseph