[civilwarwest] Now wait a minute

  • Margaret D. Blough
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2001
      Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

      Surely there was never actually a state of "Franklin," no matter how
      ardent the desire for self-determination. I am speaking in the sense
      of a state that would have had sovereignty, with its own elected
      officials, able to collect its own taxes (and able to exclude itself
      from the taxation of the regular state,)etc. Did it reach the point
      that certain people claimed to be from the state of Franklin?

      <

      I don't know whether or not anyone claimed to be from Franklin, but, under
      the Article IV, Section 3, (" New States may be admitted by the Congress
      into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the
      Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of
      two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the
      Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."), the
      consent of Tennessee would have been required and that was never
      forthcoming. West Virginia was able to do it during the Civil War because
      there was a loyalist government of Virginia in the NW counties of Virginia
      which was recognized, instead of the rebels in Richmond, by the Union as
      the legal state government of Virginia. It was this entity which consented
      to the creation of West Virginia.

      Regards,

      Margaret