US Grant on historians second guessing what happened

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2006
      General Grant was present at the annual Reunion of the One
      hundred-and-twenty-seventh regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in
      Chicago, on Tuesday, and was called upon for a speech. He responded as
      follows: "It was expressly understood when I accepted the invitation to your
      banquet that I was not to make a speech. I am glad to be with you, but I
      haven't anything new to say that could be of interest to you. Your chaplain
      has complimented me in very flattering terms, from which I infer that he has
      not read the many histories and reviews of the late great struggle which
      have been thrust upon my attention. It is now claimed by these veracious
      historians that I was not present during many of the great battles where
      formerly it had been suppose that I was in command. But you were in some of
      those battles yourselves, and know how truthful these historians are. It
      makes little difference now what may be written about the battles of the
      rebellion; the country has been saved by the patriotism and valor of the
      Union soldiery, and we are enjoying the full blessings of a united people.
      In the light of the present there is no reason to anticipate that the bugle
      call to action will ever be sounded in our day, but, if it should be, I know
      that the boys who rallied around our standard in those days will be ready to
      rally once again, as they did in 1861 and 1865."

      National Tribune, 17 September 1881, p. 5:3

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

      "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is flat. You haven't given it
      a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years thinking about and obsessing
      over why it is flat."