Re: Executing officers

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
      wrote:

      > I received the book "More Damning Than Slaughter Desertion in the
      > Confederate Army" for Christmas and it is excellent. The author
      shows that
      > as early as 1862, the Confederate army was being impacted by
      desertion. I
      > would highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the
      subject of
      > desertion in the Confederate army and its impact.

      Interestingly, desertion peaked in 1862. Victories, discipline, unit
      cohesion and law took hold the number of CS desertions bottom out
      until 1865.

      1 in 5 CSA soldiers deserted at one time or another. Of those, half
      (10% of the total) stayed away permanently...

      HankC
    • Dan Giallombardo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
        Thank you, I'll look for it. Like I needed
        another excuse to haunt Borders and Barnes and Noble...Dan