RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Executing officers

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      Thanks, Bill, that sounds fascinating.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com [mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Bill Gower
      Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 2:03 PM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Executing officers

      I received the book "More Damning Than Slaughter Desertion in the
      Confederate Army" for Christmas and it is excellent. The author shows that
      as early as 1862, the Confederate army was being impacted by desertion. I
      would highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the subject of
      desertion in the Confederate army and its impact. The chapters in the book
      are as follows:

      1. The American Practice. (Takes a look at previous wars and the British
      attitude towards desertion.)
      2. My Country...My Home. (what was the average Southern soldier fighting
      for?)
      3. Into the Breach, 1861
      4. Desertion in the Heartland, 1862
      5. Desertion in the East and the Folly of Leniency, 1862
      6. Desertion, Ideology, and the Insidious Business of Oaths, 1863
      7. The Number of Desertions is so great, 1863
      8. War of the Most Wretched and Savage Character, 1864
      9. The Order of the Day, 1864
      10. We Conquered Ourselves, 1865 and Conclusion.

      Bill

        wrote:

        > People often criticize Bragg for being a strict disciplinarian but
        was that
        > necessarily such a bad thing? The Southern soldiers tended to have
        > problem with discipline and probably needed more generals who were
        strict
        > disciplinarian.
        >
        > Bill

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          wrote:

          > I received the book "More Damning Than Slaughter Desertion in the
          > Confederate Army" for Christmas and it is excellent. The author
          shows that
          > as early as 1862, the Confederate army was being impacted by
          desertion. I
          > would highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the
          subject of
          > desertion in the Confederate army and its impact.

          Interestingly, desertion peaked in 1862. Victories, discipline, unit
          cohesion and law took hold the number of CS desertions bottom out
          until 1865.

          1 in 5 CSA soldiers deserted at one time or another. Of those, half
          (10% of the total) stayed away permanently...

          HankC
        • Dan Giallombardo
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            Thank you, I'll look for it. Like I needed
            another excuse to haunt Borders and Barnes and Noble...Dan