Re: Why I prefer the Civil War in the West over the East

  • Dan Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 198 , Jan 2, 2006
      I think we all need to remember that the victors
      write the history of the war. Had the Union been defeated, who knows
      which general would've taken Tecumseh's place?-----Dan

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene"
      <wh_keene@y...>

      > > be
      > > >
      > > > Hey, what about me?
      > >
      > > Exactly my reaction -- Don, have you met Joe? In fact from my
      > > observation, criticizing Sherman is widespread.
      > >
      > Yes Mr Keene, I Know Joe very well.
      >
      > And as of the last several comments on this thread, most imply an
      > admiration of Sherman, based mostly on march to the sea and then to
      > Raleigh. Which in my opinion, just were'nt worth two hoots in you
      know
      > where. Then they create the myth of Sherman's greatness based on
      their
      > suppositions that this was a great military event and that it
      created a
      > nebulous loss of morale. As I pointed out, Sherman never won a
      battle
      > and his "Atlanta Campaign" was full of errors.
      >
      > In addition, how many of the contributors to this site have shown
      the
      > beliefs that Sherman was way overated?
      >
      > Don

    • oneplez
      Message 198 of 198 , Jan 11, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
        wrote:

        > But he did not let it affect how he fought or his decision to march
        to the
        > sea and through the Carolinas. IMHO, Sherman did not pull any
        punches or
        > work less to defeat the South because of his views. In fairness to
        Sherman,
        > when Stanton asked the black leaders of Savannah of their opinion
        of him,
        > after he had left the room, they gave high praise to Sherman and
        considered
        > him a friend and a gentleman. Again I don't like the racist views
        of
        > Sherman, but I don't have to like his racist views to respect him
        as a
        > military leaders and a great strategist.
        >
        > Bill

        I never said his racist reputation affected his military reputation!
        I said they were both bad!!!!!!

        Don

        South of
        > > slavery, the Union army would have been ruled by a couple of
        > privates from
        > > Massachusetts. Ok that's an exaggeration, but IMHO a good majority
        > of union
        > > soldiers started the war as racists and then as they saw the
        > conditions of
        > > slavery began to rethink their views. I do have a problem with
        > Sherman and
        > > racism but fortunately he didn't let racism get in the way of
        > fighting the
        > > South and wanting to restore the Union. I will not judge his
        military
        > > career by whether he was a racist or not. If that's the case,
        what
        > can be
        > > said about Custer and Sheridan?
        > >
        > > Bill
        >

        > But Mr. Gower, I just indicated below that Sherman *did* let his
        > racism directly detract from the war effort by his contravening
        > administration policy.
        >
        > Joseph

        Sherman