RE: [civilwarwest] Executing officers

  • Bill Gower
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      People often criticize Bragg for being a strict disciplinarian but was that
      necessarily such a bad thing? The Southern soldiers tended to have a
      problem with discipline and probably needed more generals who were strict
      disciplinarian.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        A good example of that might be Lee's constant complaints
        that his junior officers never carried out his orders correctly.---Dan

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
        wrote:

        > People often criticize Bragg for being a strict disciplinarian but
        was that
        > necessarily such a bad thing? The Southern soldiers tended to have
        > problem with discipline and probably needed more generals who were
        strict
        > disciplinarian.
        >
        > Bill

      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
          Thanks, Bill, that sounds fascinating.

            wrote:

            > People often criticize Bragg for being a strict disciplinarian but
            was that
            > necessarily such a bad thing? The Southern soldiers tended to have
            > problem with discipline and probably needed more generals who were
            strict
            > disciplinarian.
            >
            > Bill

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • hank9174
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              wrote:

              > I received the book "More Damning Than Slaughter Desertion in the
              > Confederate Army" for Christmas and it is excellent. The author
              shows that
              > as early as 1862, the Confederate army was being impacted by
              desertion. I
              > would highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the
              subject of
              > desertion in the Confederate army and its impact.

              Interestingly, desertion peaked in 1862. Victories, discipline, unit
              cohesion and law took hold the number of CS desertions bottom out
              until 1865.

              1 in 5 CSA soldiers deserted at one time or another. Of those, half
              (10% of the total) stayed away permanently...

              HankC
            • Dan Giallombardo
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
                Thank you, I'll look for it. Like I needed
                another excuse to haunt Borders and Barnes and Noble...Dan