Re: Why I prefer the Civil War in the West over the East

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 198 , Jan 1, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
      > This is especially true in Mid-Tennessee and the Trans-Mississippi,
      > but I think that the operations along the lower Tennessee River and
      > the whole of the Mississippi were not nearly as hindered because of
      > the long distances due to Federal riverine superiority.

      And interesting point. As a counter argument, river transport could
      be constrained by the quantity of boats available. There was
      generally always enough capacity to move small forces, but the
      movement of enitre armies could be held up by the lack of boats.

      > > I don't see that criticizing Sherman is much in vogue. I seem to
      be
      > > the only one doing it.
      >
      > Hey, what about me?

      Exactly my reaction -- Don, have you met Joe? In fact from my
      observation, criticizing Sherman is widespread.
    • oneplez
      Message 198 of 198 , Jan 11, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
        wrote:

        > But he did not let it affect how he fought or his decision to march
        to the
        > sea and through the Carolinas. IMHO, Sherman did not pull any
        punches or
        > work less to defeat the South because of his views. In fairness to
        Sherman,
        > when Stanton asked the black leaders of Savannah of their opinion
        of him,
        > after he had left the room, they gave high praise to Sherman and
        considered
        > him a friend and a gentleman. Again I don't like the racist views
        of
        > Sherman, but I don't have to like his racist views to respect him
        as a
        > military leaders and a great strategist.
        >
        > Bill

        I never said his racist reputation affected his military reputation!
        I said they were both bad!!!!!!

        Don

        South of
        > > slavery, the Union army would have been ruled by a couple of
        > privates from
        > > Massachusetts. Ok that's an exaggeration, but IMHO a good majority
        > of union
        > > soldiers started the war as racists and then as they saw the
        > conditions of
        > > slavery began to rethink their views. I do have a problem with
        > Sherman and
        > > racism but fortunately he didn't let racism get in the way of
        > fighting the
        > > South and wanting to restore the Union. I will not judge his
        military
        > > career by whether he was a racist or not. If that's the case,
        what
        > can be
        > > said about Custer and Sheridan?
        > >
        > > Bill
        >

        > But Mr. Gower, I just indicated below that Sherman *did* let his
        > racism directly detract from the war effort by his contravening
        > administration policy.
        >
        > Joseph

        Sherman