Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Cannoneers in Gray

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 25, 2005
      In a message dated 12/24/2005 11:35:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, madisondaybreak@... writes:
      Not that this has anything to do with Cannoneers In Grey, but Todd mentioned
      that his ancestor served in Cobb's Kentucky Battery. I believe my
      ancestor(s) in the 73rd Indiana Infantry fought against you on Wayne's Hill
      on December 29th, 1862, and if I am correct, the 51st Indiana Infantry drove
      your people off the hill, only to be counterattacked and ordered by Major
      General Crittenden, with orders from Rosecrans, to recross the river. These
      two regiments along with the 13th Michigan, belonged to Charles Harker's
      Brigade, although I believe it was Brigadier General James A. Garfields
      brigade, that Harker was temporarily commanding. Just thought i'd mention
      it.

      Andrew Miller
      Charles G. Harker was Colonel of the 65th OVI and he was given temporary command of Garfield's Brigade, before Perryville I believe.  Its interesting that Harker would later come in contact (literally) with Cobbs Battery at Chattanooga when his brigade overan the artillery while storming up Missionary Ridge.  Harker was so overjoyed that in his excitment he hopped onto the still hot tube of one of Cobb pieces and scorched his ass!!

      Kent Dorr