Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Grimsley's blog

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 14, 2005
      In a message dated 12/13/2005 10:18:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:
      Basically, my problem with JEJ boils down to the fact that I think the South had to take risks to win. JEJ sought to minimize risk first, which is an entirely different - and losing, IMO - approach.
      Yes, certain risks had to be taken, but taken when the odds were better.  Hood was a risk taker, and yet against Sherman, he did not win a single battle and in the meantime, lost many valuable men.  At Franklin, he took risks again and against a smaller force, he lost much of his army.  Then knowing his strength was much reduced, decided to take on Thomas.  The result -  for practical purposes, the end of the AOT.

      Even though he had to make strategic withdrawals between Dalton and Atlanta, fighting defensively, his losses were much less than Sherman's.  Sherman's made him withdraw, but did not defeat him; not one battle did he come out on top.  He did however force JEJ to withdraw, not by any battle, but by his superior strength in  his ability to use flanking tactics.

      JEJ
    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 68 of 68 , Jan 6, 2006
        In a message dated 1/6/2006 1:02:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, wh_keene@... writes:

        4/30          110,123    55,100    50%
        5/31-6/10     112,819    69,946    62%

        I wouldn't dispute Newton's numbers. 11-7 is pretty close to 10-7 <g>

        Sam Elliott