Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Grimsley's blog

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 10, 2005
      In a message dated 12/10/2005 8:56:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, DPowell334@... writes:
      Look at the number of times in the OR that Johnston reiterates to Bragg that the troops sent are "only a loan" or that he asks for them back. Moreover, There are two large infantry divisions - French and Loring - that Johnston still retains.
      To look at this realistically,  how many troops did Bragg have and how many troops did Johnston have.  What areas did these troops have to protect.  What ratio of Union troops to the troops they had under their command.

      It is easy for  us to say that he did this or he didn't do this etc etc, but what
      conditions did he face or could possibly face.  What could have he done and if he did, what consequences did he face as a result of his actions..  This applies to both Johnston and Bragg.

      JEJ
    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 68 of 68 , Jan 6, 2006
        In a message dated 1/6/2006 1:02:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, wh_keene@... writes:

        4/30          110,123    55,100    50%
        5/31-6/10     112,819    69,946    62%

        I wouldn't dispute Newton's numbers. 11-7 is pretty close to 10-7 <g>

        Sam Elliott