Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Grimsley's blog

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 10, 2005
      In a message dated 12/9/2005 12:45:57 P.M. Central Standard Time, LWhite64@... writes:

      Didnt Johnston send two divisions (Breckinridge and Walker) plus part of a 3rd
      (McNair's
      bigade) to Bragg?

      As Lee notes, Breckinridge was being returned, not loaned:) The first troops sent were Ector and McNair, to which Johnston attached specific restrictions - they were only to go as far as Atlanta, to guard the RR connections, and were to be returned ASAP once Longstreet arrived. Walker comes later, again sent grudgingly. Look at the number of times in the OR that Johnston reiterates to Bragg that the troops sent are "only a loan" or that he asks for them back. Moreover, There are two large infantry divisions - French and Loring - that Johnston still retains.

      I just think it odd on Johnston's part that in May, he is willing to abandon Mississippi completely, unite Pemberton's whole force with Bragg and seek battle. In September, after Vicksburg is lost, he gets exactly that chance, and his reaction is completely at odds with the strategy he was proposing just a few months ago.

      I am not saying that it necessarily would have been the best strategy, even. It might have, but of course it entailed risk. However, what strikes me most here is how different Johnston's actions are compared to his words.

      Dave Powell
    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 68 of 68 , Jan 6, 2006
        In a message dated 1/6/2006 1:02:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, wh_keene@... writes:

        4/30          110,123    55,100    50%
        5/31-6/10     112,819    69,946    62%

        I wouldn't dispute Newton's numbers. 11-7 is pretty close to 10-7 <g>

        Sam Elliott