Civil War Uniforms: 9 Tips on HOW TO Choose Inexpensive Yet Accurate Buttons

  • paulamccoach
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2005
      Civil War Uniforms: 9 Universal Tips on HOW TO Choose Accurate yet
      Inexpensive Buttons

      By Paula and Coach McCoach
      http://www.civilwaruniforms.net

      1. Get yourself some good buttons. Stay away from plastic and
      modern buttons. Go with glass, bone, shell, metal, porcelain, 2-hole
      cat's eye or Mother of Pearl.

      2. Metal buttons are authentic but they have the potential to
      rust and stain your fabric. Some of the sutlers that sell fabric and
      sewing items have buttons. Or I have a ton of buttons I might be
      talked into parting with. Email me at coach@... or
      visit http://www.civilwaruniforms.net

      3. Variety of period buttons including Goodyear and natural
      substances. Many of these buttons are good for vests.

      4. Buttons can also be found at flea markets, antique stores,
      in old button baskets, tins or jars. Frequently, you can buy a
      whole jar of buttons for $3 – check out the buttons in it, and if
      you find a substantial amount of antique buttons, it certainly is
      worth it.

      5. Sometimes the jar is as valuable as the buttons! I have
      found jars full of buttons with a hundred dollar button in it.
      Small items like buttons can make a huge difference and increase the
      value of your shirt, jacket, pants, etc.

      6. Try to get all brass buttons not plated. Waterbury is good.
      Original buttons are a bit pricey but not out of the question. If
      you are getting the U.S. Eagle buttons, sutlers have them.

      7. Stay away from the ones that are plated. I personally just
      use coin buttons. If you are doing a state regiment, you may want
      to go with state seal buttons, but I feel that limits your
      impression.

      8. "I" buttons are good for a generic look. For late war
      buttons, you can use go the Tate Script "I" which were coming in
      later in the war.

      9. U.S. buttons can go both ways: U.S. or Confederate. It would
      not be unusual to see an Eagle button on a Confederate uniform.

      Coach McCoach invites you to subscribe to the Civil War Uniform News
      where you will receive information weekly on every possible Civil
      War Uniform item!

      These tips will help you have an accurate impression and save tons
      of time and money in the process! You do not have to spend a lot of
      money to have a good impression, and Civil War Uniforms will show
      you how!

      You will also receive a free uniforms course for subscribing. Click
      on this link to subscribe - http://www.civilwaruniforms.net
      If you need the information about Civil War Uniforms NOW, go to
      http://www.civilwaruniforms.net and purchase a Civil War Uniforms
      Course.