Re: Grimsley's blog

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 9, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DPowell334@A... wrote:

      > In a message dated 12/8/2005 7:29:03 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      > tony_gunter@y... writes:
      >
      > Wasn't it Johnston who suggested to Pemberton to give up Vicksbug,
      > defeat Grant in detail, then regain Vicksburg later? When
      McPherson
      > found himself isolated from supply and communication south of Snake
      > Creek Gap, it was the perfect opportunity for Johnston to defeat a
      > large portion of the federal army in detail.
      >

      > I'll get in trouble for this, but I have always found Johnston to
      be a
      > "sayer" not a "doer."

      Well, to Johnston's credit, he had ordered two divisions to attack
      McPherson, but when McPherson withdrew to a more tenable position he
      called off the movement.

      In my mind, McPherson was right where Johnston wanted him: isolated,
      with no avenue of orderly withdrawal.
    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 68 of 68 , Jan 6, 2006
        In a message dated 1/6/2006 1:02:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, wh_keene@... writes:

        4/30          110,123    55,100    50%
        5/31-6/10     112,819    69,946    62%

        I wouldn't dispute Newton's numbers. 11-7 is pretty close to 10-7 <g>

        Sam Elliott