Re: "Tapping" a telegraph wire

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
      > There is no need to cut the wire. Being a single strand, what
      they most
      > likely used was a loop coil. The same procedure is used today to
      measure
      > current. Since code was sending variances of current according if
      it was a dah or a
      > dit,

      Are you sure about that? I thought they simply closed the loop for a
      variable period of time (a short tap on the button for dot, and a
      hold it down for 250 milliseconds or so for dash), and that the loop
      state was either on-hook or off-hook, just like old telephones.

      To do what you're saying, you'd actually have to coil a wire around
      the telegraph lines several hundred times to be able to pick up
      enough induction to read what was going over the line. Call me
      sceptical.
    • John Beatty
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2005
        >Are you sure about that? ...To do what you're
        saying, you'd actually have to coil a wire around the
        telegraph lines several hundred times to be able to
        pick up enough induction to read what was going over
        the line. Call me sceptical.

        Me, too, but all you'd really need was a loop of wire
        over the conductor and a key just like the one doing
        the recieving. It would have to work that way.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2005
          In a message dated 12/11/2005 12:50:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jdbeatty.geo@... writes:
          Me, too, but all you'd really need was a loop of wire
          over the conductor and a key just like the one doing
          the recieving.  It would have to work that way.
          All circuitry must have a complete "loop" or return path.  Since the signal is sent on a single wire, the loop would go from ground to the sending power source, to the sending key, through the wire, to the receiving key, through the receiving key power source, back to ground again.  Either by "tapping" (connecting physically to the wire) or by induction (method described above) to the receiving key, to the receiving power source, to ground, would make a complete circuit in parallel with the sending source.

          JEJ