Re: [civilwarwest] Mississippi Unionism

  • chad walker
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
      I want that book! Who is selling it?  Southern Unionists are the most neglected participants in that war.  I read in "The South vs the South" that approximately 100,000 white Southerners fought for the Union.  North Alabama, and East Tennessee were full of Union men and of course a sizeable content of the Army of the Cumberland was composed of Kentuckians

      Tony Gunter <tony_gunter@...> wrote:

      There's a new book co-edited by Dr. Ballard containing the memoirs of
      Chickasaw, a Mississippi Union spy who served as Chief of Scouts for
      Grenville Dodge.  A short book, I read it in one night, a very
      entertaining read.  I think it's the complement to Reverend
      Aughey's "Iron Furnace" a.k.a. Tupelo.  Whereas Aughey attempted to use
      what I believe was a Masonic network to escape into Union lines,
      Chickasaw uses his southern drawl and his wits.  Chickasaw is
      immediately recognized as a valuable resource by Colonel James B.
      McPherson, and he is sent to Sherman's HQ just in time to begin serving
      as a Union scout at Shiloh.  Unfortunately, Sherman ignores several
      very direct warnings from Chickasaw that they enemy are about to
      attack.  The Mississippi scouts manage to provide vital information to
      the Union, often in spite of rather than because of their commanders.

      Unfortunately for both the narrative and the scout, Chickasaw loses
      nearly everything due to his loyalist sentiments, including his beloved
      wife, whom he buries in St. Louis during Grierson's raid.  But his
      detailed stories of life as a Union soldier in Confederate uniform
      gives gripping detail to a facet of the war that was previously ignored.

      Yahoo! Shopping
    • Tony Gunter
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, chad walker <miller15130@y...>
        wrote:

        > I want that book! Who is selling it?

        Got mine off Amazon.
      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005

          Ok, I’m a bit lost here and that is nothing new, I know. But what book is being discussed here and who is the author?

          Tom

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:

            > Ok, I'm a bit lost here and that is nothing new, I know. But what
            book is
            > being discussed here and who is the author?

            Title: "Chickasaw: A Mississippi Scout for the Union"
            Author: Chickasaw (Levi H. Naron)
            Editors: Thomas D. Cockrell and Michael B. Ballard
            Publisher: LSU University Press
            Thumbs up: Three
          • Tom Mix
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
              Thanks, I'll check it out on Amazon too.
              Tom

              Author: Chickasaw (Levi H. Naron)
              Editors: Thomas D. Cockrell and Michael B. Ballard
              Publisher: LSU University Press
              Thumbs up: Three

              Yahoo! Groups Links