Re: [civilwarwest] Re: "Tapping" a telegraph wire

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
      In a message dated 12/8/2005 12:09:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tony_gunter@... writes:
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@y...>
      wrote:

      > You shouldn't have to cut the wire.  It was not
      > insulated.

      But the dashes and dots were generated by opening and closing the loop
      current, which means to listen to the message, you have to physically
      cut the wire and hook a listening device to it in series, right?  I
      thought telegraph was a point-to-point communication, and that for
      messages spanning several telegraph stations, each station would have
      to receive the message and then retransmit it on down the line until it
      reached its destination.  Is that not correct?

      I have no idea, that's just how I have always imagined it worked.
      There is no need to cut the wire.  Being a single strand, what they most likely used was a loop coil.  The same procedure is used today to measure current. Since code was sending variances of current according if it was a dah or a dit, the coil using the princiles of induction,  would send the sent code to the snoopers key machine.  Voila, you receive the enemy's transmission.

      JEJ      DiDiDaDahDiDit

    • Tony Gunter
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
        > There is no need to cut the wire. Being a single strand, what
        they most
        > likely used was a loop coil. The same procedure is used today to
        measure
        > current. Since code was sending variances of current according if
        it was a dah or a
        > dit,

        Are you sure about that? I thought they simply closed the loop for a
        variable period of time (a short tap on the button for dot, and a
        hold it down for 250 milliseconds or so for dash), and that the loop
        state was either on-hook or off-hook, just like old telephones.

        To do what you're saying, you'd actually have to coil a wire around
        the telegraph lines several hundred times to be able to pick up
        enough induction to read what was going over the line. Call me
        sceptical.
      • John Beatty
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2005
          >Are you sure about that? ...To do what you're
          saying, you'd actually have to coil a wire around the
          telegraph lines several hundred times to be able to
          pick up enough induction to read what was going over
          the line. Call me sceptical.

          Me, too, but all you'd really need was a loop of wire
          over the conductor and a key just like the one doing
          the recieving. It would have to work that way.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2005
            In a message dated 12/11/2005 12:50:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jdbeatty.geo@... writes:
            Me, too, but all you'd really need was a loop of wire
            over the conductor and a key just like the one doing
            the recieving.  It would have to work that way.
            All circuitry must have a complete "loop" or return path.  Since the signal is sent on a single wire, the loop would go from ground to the sending power source, to the sending key, through the wire, to the receiving key, through the receiving key power source, back to ground again.  Either by "tapping" (connecting physically to the wire) or by induction (method described above) to the receiving key, to the receiving power source, to ground, would make a complete circuit in parallel with the sending source.

            JEJ