April 1866

  • chad walker
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2005
      I recently read that President Andrew Johnson declared the rebellion and hostilities at an end in April of 1866.  Why would peace be declared almost a year afterwards?  Any thoughts?  I have also noticed that GAR badges have the years 1861 to 1866, probably because of the presidential proclamation.

      Yahoo! Shopping
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2005
        In a message dated 12/7/2005 8:14:35 PM Central Standard Time, miller15130@... writes:
        recently read that President Andrew Johnson declared the rebellion and hostilities at an end in April of 1866.  Why would peace be declared almost a year afterwards?  Any thoughts?  I have also noticed that GAR badges have the years 1861 to 1866, probably because of the presidential proclamation.
        Formal surrenders had long been complete, but there were pockets of continued resistance and, was it Canby?, a few never gave up. It would follow that a proclamation declaring that peace exists would at least be politically advisable, since surrender documents didn't seem to do the job.