Re: Nothing But Victory by Steven Woodworth

  • James2044
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
      I have to agree with Harry. ACW books w/o maps is really poor
      planning and a disservice to the reader. I too David Detzer's Bull
      Run book back when I realized it had no battle maps at all.
      Campaign or battle books require maps and not putting them in is
      theft of services.

      James2044

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
      wrote:

      > I can't agree with you on this.
      >

      > To me, any book concerning military actions in the CW is pretty
      much useless
      > if it does not have maps. Sure, you can use other maps. But the
      odds of
      > them matching described actions, troop movements, place names, and
      > especially road names are very, very slim.
      >

      > It's an unfortunate trend in publishing these days. I liken it to
      not
      > publishing the last chapter of a murder mystery. It costs more to
      print
      > each chapter, you know.
      >

      > Harry

      Woodworth

      > In a message dated 11/5/2005 9:59:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > tmix@i... writes:
      >
      > For those of you who will be getting "Nothing But Victory" for
      > Christmas,
      > you are in for a treat. I am really enjoying the book and am up
      to the
      > attack on Vicksburg. It is a very interesting book and a very easy
      > read. I
      > won't say too much more about the book because I don't want to
      give away
      > the
      > ending.
      >
      > Bill
      >
      > I put it on my Xmas wish list. I notice that one individual wrote
      a review
      > for Amazon that was not very flattering. His complaint was that
      there was
      > only one map. He gave examples of other books that he has that
      have
      > numerous maps (all written about the Eastern Theater). He wrote
      Steve and
      > Steve told him about the extra cost it would be to put maps in the
      book
      > (which are usually too small to get any detail from them) and
      suggested that
      > he use a CW Military Atlas. My response to this individual is
      that if he is
      > too lazy to use an Atlas, then he should go back and pacify
      himself with the
      > Eastern theater.
      >

      > JEJ

      > American
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa

      r&w2=Army+of+northern+virginia&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&
      c=4&s=9
      > 7&.sig=baKgNn5PJ3Dot8r59ej9ew> civil war
      >
      > Army
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Army+of+northern+virginia&w1=American+c

      ivil+war&w2=Army+of+northern+virginia&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+h
      istory&
      > c=4&s=97&.sig=Q7OAprvYL_IMub6eifrINA> of northern virginia
      >
      > United
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=United+states&w1=American+civil+war&w2=

      Army+of+northern+virginia&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&c=4&s
      =97&.si
      > g=DFhHqpuW4aLx2DL7QXnJlw> states
      >

      > Civil
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Civil+war+history&w1=American+civil+war

      &w2=Army+of+northern+virginia&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&c
      =4&s=97
      > &.sig=7vfqiA9knKg91PTssHjAlQ> war history
      >

      > _____
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > * Visit your group "civilwarwest
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/civilwarwest> " on the web.

      subject=Unsubscribe>

      > _____

    • James2044
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
        I don't see a big difference between $39.95 & $43.95, do you? The
        $4.00 could purchase a number of maps and make the book worth the
        extra money. I didn't suggest the author, publisher, book store and
        middle men take less. ISTM, that a better book, more maps, would
        sell more copies and make more money for all of the above.

        James2044

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, basecat1@a... wrote:

        > In a message dated 11/5/2005 10:25:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > GnrlJEJohnston@a... writes:
        >
        > I put it on my Xmas wish list. I notice that one individual wrote
        a review
        > for Amazon that was not very flattering. His complaint was that
        there was
        > only one map. He gave examples of other books that he has that
        have numerous
        > maps (all written about the Eastern Theater). He wrote Steve and
        Steve told
        > him about the extra cost it would be to put maps in the book
        (which are
        > usually too small to get any detail from them) and suggested that
        he use a CW
        > Military Atlas. My response to this individual is that if he is
        too lazy to use
        > an Atlas, then he should go back and pacify himself with the
        Eastern theater.

        > JEJ
        >

        > General,
        >
        > For the most part I agree with you, but that said even with one
        Map, the
        > book is selling for $40 a pop, and IMHO, for a book that covers
        as much ground
        > as this, more maps should be included. Have great respect for
        his writings on
        > the CW, and great respect for him as a historian of the war, but
        if cost is
        > the problem, why is this book priced at $40 a pop?
        >
        > Hope all is well.
        >
        > Regards from the Garden State,
        >
        > Steve Basic

      • The Coys
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
          I do not need a lot of maps in the books. I have found that the maps
          usually do not have enough detail. Plus, I always have to flip back and
          forth between the pages....I'm reading one passage and have to go back 5
          pages to see the map, that is poorly done. I don't want that many maps in
          my books. I prefer keeping my atlas close by if I need to refer to it.

          I guess the publishers can't please everyone.

          Kevin S. Coy

          >I have to agree with Harry. ACW books w/o maps is really poor
          > planning and a disservice to the reader. I too David Detzer's Bull
          > Run book back when I realized it had no battle maps at all.
          > Campaign or battle books require maps and not putting them in is
          > theft of services.
          >
          > James2044
          >

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> I can't agree with you on this.
          >>

          >> To me, any book concerning military actions in the CW is pretty
          > much useless
          >> if it does not have maps. Sure, you can use other maps. But the
          > odds of
          >> them matching described actions, troop movements, place names, and
          >> especially road names are very, very slim.
          >>

          >> It's an unfortunate trend in publishing these days. I liken it to
          > not
          >> publishing the last chapter of a murder mystery. It costs more to
          > print
          >> each chapter, you know.
          >>

          >> Harry

        • Bob Taubman

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/GmiolB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • SDE80@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
              In a message dated 11/6/2005 11:30:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, JWD2044@... writes:
              I don't see a big difference between $39.95 & $43.95, do you?  The
              $4.00 could purchase a number of maps and make the book worth the
              extra money.  I didn't suggest the author, publisher, book store and
              middle men take less.  ISTM, that a better book, more maps, would
              sell more copies and make more money for all of the above.
              Speaking as someone who commissioned maps to put in a book, they are expensive, and more you do, the more it costs.  Your illustration is wrong, as most publishers do not pay for maps, illustrations, etc., that is for the author to come up with, and therefore will not raise prices in order for you to have extra maps in the book.   And since most CW books that don't feature Gettysburg or Robert E. Lee don't really make a lot of money, to get a bunch of really fine maps means that the author, who gets paid very little for his work, loses money.

              Sam Elliott
            • Bill Gower
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005

                I don’t mind not having maps in a book because I too keep an atlas nearby when I am reading and I too hate having to flip back and forth in a book trying to find the maps and keeping my fingers in the pages not to lose my place.  I don’t tend to choose maps based on the number of maps or whether or not they have maps.

                Bill