Sherman's 200,000

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2005
      To confirm that Sherman really did want 200,000 men just for use in
      and around Kentucky, there are several other solid pieces of evidence:

      On 11/21/61, Sherman wrote to his brother, John: "One soldier less
      than two hundred thousand will be imperilled the moment the
      Confederates choose." He was sure of a CSA attack on St Louis,
      Cincinnati and Louisville at same time [Letter on pg 163 of "Sherman's
      Civil War" seems to indicate that unless there are 200,000 on that
      line, it will be lost.]

      On 12/12/61, Sherman wrote to Tom Ewing Sr. that he had positive
      knowledge of about 2500 CSA soldiers near Prestonburg; 7500 at
      Cumberland Gap; 2500 near Monticello; 8000 moving about; 18,000 at
      Bowling Green; 10,000 at Russelville and Clarksville; & 4500 at
      Hopkinsville, "all of which can be concentrated in a day at Bowling
      Green." . . . "If the Country has 640,000 volunteers, or even
      500,000--at least 200,000 of them should be in Kentucky or on the Ohio
      River."

      Buell wrote McClellan on 11/22/61 that "Sherman still insists that I
      require 200,000 men. I am quite content to try with a good many less;
      but I do not want to abate in the end what you yourself through
      desirable, if not necessary. It will be important that Halleck shall
      strike at the same time that I do, and I think you will agree that his
      blow should await my preparation."

      On account of this corroborative and contemporary evidence, with what
      was provided before,it should be readily admitted by even the
      staunchest of Sherman's defenders that the 200,000 was for his
      immediate and local needs.

      Joseph