The Port Hudson Campaign by Edward Cunningham

  • Brett Schulte
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
      Has anyone else read this one? I just finished it, and it's a decent
      overview of the campaign. There are only two maps though, neither of
      which is very good. Is Hewitt's Port Hudson book better?

      I've got Volume 2 of David Edmonds' The Guns of Port Hudson, and that
      book looks excellent from a brief look. Any thoughts on that
      two-volume set?

      Brett S.
    • virginia_cajun
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Schulte" <brett@b...>
        wrote:

        > Has anyone else read this one? I just finished it, and it's a decent
        > overview of the campaign. There are only two maps though, neither of
        > which is very good. Is Hewitt's Port Hudson book better?
        >
        > I've got Volume 2 of David Edmonds' The Guns of Port Hudson, and that
        > book looks excellent from a brief look. Any thoughts on that
        > two-volume set?
        >
        > Brett S.

        Cunningham's book, as you say, is a good overview but lacks the
        details of the books by Hewitt and Edmonds. Hewitt's book presents
        thorough coverage of the campaign through the aftermath of the May 27,
        1863, assault. It was his intention to do a second volume completing
        the story, but he has not done so yet. Edmonds' volumes go into
        greater depth than Cunningham or Hewitt, but they are not without
        small errors of fact, and they lack analysis.

        Art Bergeron
      • Brett Schulte
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "virginia_cajun"
          <virginia_cajun@y...> wrote:

          > Cunningham's book, as you say, is a good overview but lacks the
          > details of the books by Hewitt and Edmonds. Hewitt's book presents
          > thorough coverage of the campaign through the aftermath of the May 27,
          > 1863, assault. It was his intention to do a second volume completing
          > the story, but he has not done so yet. Edmonds' volumes go into
          > greater depth than Cunningham or Hewitt, but they are not without
          > small errors of fact, and they lack analysis.
          >
          > Art Bergeron

          Art,

          Thanks for the info. I'll have to go pick up Hewitt's book, and keep
          an eye out for a (relatively) cheap copy of Edmonds' Volume 1.

          Brett