dang it, Dang it, DANG IT...

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
      Ladies and gentlemen,

      This is obituary is in today's Memphis Commercial-Appeal...

      STEPHEN DYER WAKEFIELD, 53, of Memphis, formerly of Terre Haute, IN,
      passed away Saturday, October 29, 2005 at Select Specialty Hospital
      in Memphis. Funeral mass will be said 11 a.m. Tuesday, November 1, at
      Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, 3700 Thomas St., with interment
      to follow at 2:30 p.m. in Antioch Cemetery in Hornbeak, TN. Mr.
      Wakefield was a labor/employment attorney with Wyatt, Tarrant and
      Combs. He was a member of the Trial Attorneys Association, and a
      Fellow of the American College of Trial Attorneys. He attended West
      Point, and he was a graduate of the University of Indiana School of
      Law where he was Phi Beta Kappa. He was also a member of Cleburnes
      Civil War Historical Group. He is survived by his wife of 23 years,
      Marsha; his daughter, Jenny and her husband, Donny; his brother, R.V.
      Wakefield, and his mother-in-law, Jennie Davis. The family requests
      memorial contributions, in lieu of flowers, to Our Lady of Sorrows
      Catholic Church. Memphis Funeral Home Poplar Chapel 901-725-0100
    • P. B. Jones

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
          Steve will be sorely missed, knowledgeable,humor, and class- a fine gentleman.  RIP
                  Jack
[...]

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • carlw4514
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
            If anyone would like to know how much his contributions will be missed
            in our little group, you may check out the 'links' section at the
            website and then go to 'bookmarks in our archive'
            The man's knowledge was pretty awesome... as was his ability to put it
            in words. But he was always humble enough to add that " I could be
            wrong " I'd say he was pretty famous for in these parts.
            It just ain't fair sometimes. He will be missed here.

            Carl

          • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
              In a message dated 11/1/2005 6:23:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
              The man's knowledge was pretty awesome... as was his ability to put it
              in words. But he was always humble enough to add that " I could be
              wrong " I'd say he was pretty famous for in these parts.
              It just ain't fair sometimes. He will be missed here.
              It is difficult to put away the pain of losing such a friend but with my religious belief, I am happy that no longer will he ever have to suffer pain like he did upon this earth.  Once or twice in a lifetime, we are privilege to come across an individual like Steve.  He was special.  His "And too, I could be wrong" will always be a lesson of humility to us who too often think that we know it all.  We will never know it all for education goes on from the womb to the tomb.  In closing, part of a poem that I wrote years ago best tells of my feelings.

              Rest he has needed, more and more
              Is there waiting for him at Heaven's great door.
              Final rest he'll have at this place
              Final rest without disgrace.

              Vaya con Dios Steve

              Wayne
            • LWhite64@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                This really is sad news.

                Lee
              • basecat1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                  As one who considers it very fortunate to have met and toured battlefields with Steve, am deeply saddened here by his passing on Saturday.

                  Steve's wealth of knowledge on the Civil War out west always boggled the mind, and fondly recall the tours of Shiloh, in 1999, and Chickamauga and Chattanooga, in 2001 that he led for the Civil War Chat Room.

                  Am honored to have known him, and will always remember him.

                  Rest in Peace.

                  Regards from the Garden State,

                  Steve Basic

                • Steve Saultz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                    It just ain't fair sometimes.

                           No sir, it never is.  Hats off and a 21 gun Salute given here!  Is there someone here in the group that knew him well...Perhaps send condolence email to his family from CWWT??

                         Stay well, warm and dry my fellow group...Winter is upon us..Drink your OJ and ALL take care.

                                Most Respectfully Your Humble Servant,

                                  Steve Saultz

                                  Capt. McCracken  /  Partisan Ranger

                  • CashG79@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                      Steve was a terrific person and I learned a great deal from him.  This is really awful news.

                      Regards,
                      Cash
                    • lilsteve68@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                        He will be missed greatly.. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all that knew him personaly .   I only new him for the board here and learned lots form from  here.

                        Rest in peace Stephen

                        Steven cone

                      • keeno2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                          To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven ...

                          Goodbye, AoT. We are all better off because you were here.
                          Ken
                        • Dave Mercado
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 1, 2005
                            Steve will be greatly missed by all his many Civil War friends.
                            His thoughtful essays on this board put many topics being discussed
                            into proper perspective. – Dave Mercado