Re: Streight's Raid into Northern Georgia and Alabama

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>

      <tony_gunter@y...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > [snip]
      >
      > > That would have required Johnston ordering Forrest from Bragg's
      > > department to Pemberton's department. Not only did Johnston
      never
      > > order any troops from Bragg to reinforce Pemberton, but due to
      > > Dodge's feint at Tuscumbia he ordered Pemberton to send
      > > reinforcements to Bragg, and ordered Pemberton to have Ruggles
      feint
      > > towards Corinth.
      >
      > CHATTANOOGA, TENN. December 4, 1862.
      > [snip]

      I don't think events in December 1862 are representative of events in
      1863... especially considering confidential communications sent to
      Johnston indicating that Pemberton was hording more troops than
      necessary to defend his department.

      That being said, I think I'm wrong in part on Forrest. Johnston,
      after Dodge's feint withdrew at Tuscumbia, did actually order Forrest
      to move into North Mississippi. However, this required Forrest to
      move around Tuscumbia in circuitous fashion, and was only meant as a
      means to replace Ruggles, who had been ordered to move to Vicksburg
      with all haste, bringing everything in his department except a
      battery of artillery and assorted cavalry. The order was issued
      prior to Forrest's pursuit of Streight, but well after Grierson had
      passed south of Jackson, so Forrest would have never been sent in
      pursuit.