Re: [civilwarwest] Fort Manhassett, Texas

  • Matt R
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2005
      Hi John -

      Thanks for the welcome. The fort that I am describing isn't anything like
      Pickens or Barrancas, those are large masonry fortresses. Manhasset's
      redoubts were holes in the ground with 6-8 foot high parapets made from
      clamshell, sand, and dirt. All five were surrounded by rifle trenches and
      abatis, and were connected by trenches. Their sillhouettes were low and
      blended in easily with the flat, dull marsh that they were built on. The
      only traces of them today are a species of high grass which grows on their
      outlines. They weren't ever intended to be permanent fortifications. Years,
      weather, and dozens of hurricanes have eroded the once-proud fortress to the
      ground.

      My home got some slight damage but the surrounding area was hit very hard by
      wind. It was powerful enough to uproot a 70 year old pecan tree in my
      grandmother's yard. The town of Sabine Pass was virtually wiped off the map
      for the third time in its history. I'm sure that Manhassett's quiet remains
      are still much like they always have been since the war ended. It's an
      amazing thought that the last human contact the area had was when the
      garrison marched off to Beaumont to be paroled.

      Thanks