Re: [civilwarwest] The Colt

  • John O'Connor
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2005
      17 pounds?  Wow, bigger than a Garand.  How about 7 pounds?
      Jack
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 4, 2005
        --- John O'Connor <hvonbork@...> wrote:

        > 17 pounds? Wow, bigger than a Garand. How about 7
        > pounds?
        > Jack

        The original Ballards rifle was very heavy. 17 pounds
        might be high but it is very close for what was
        considered a Buffalo rifle. They were single shot
        with rimfire cartriges. It is very hard to find an
        original CW era Ballard. After the company went broke
        production was taken over by someone else and they
        were much lighter. The 1870 era Ballard still weighed
        over 10 lbs.

        Rick

        Rick Moody
        r_moody@...

        When you arise in the morning,
        give thanks for the morning light,
        for your life and strength.
        Give thanks for your food,
        and the joy of living.

        If you see no reason for giving thanks,
        the fault lies with yourself.

        Tecumseh, Shawnee (The Southern People)

        Yahoo! for Good
      • olddude33@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
          17 pounds?  Wow, bigger than a Garand.  How about 7 pounds?
          Jack

          I'll buy that........ not the first time I found questionable info in "Time-Life"...