Question for Dave Smith

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
      Why did Pemberton not react when informed that Wirt Adams had been
      ordered to Edwards by Bowen, leaving Raymond "completely uncovered"?

      Instead, he merely repeats his desire that both Edwards and Raymond be
      covered by cavalry, which seems to indicate that he was okay with Adams
      sending back to Raymond a single squadron of men.
    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@y...>
        wrote:

        > Why did Pemberton not react when informed that Wirt Adams had been
        > ordered to Edwards by Bowen, leaving Raymond "completely uncovered"?

        Adams indicated that he was acting on Bowen's order and that he had
        taken steps to provide some cover for Raymond. Pemberton was thininkg
        that the threat to Edwards was greater than to Raymond.

        > Instead, he merely repeats his desire that both Edwards and Raymond
        be
        > covered by cavalry, which seems to indicate that he was okay with
        Adams
        > sending back to Raymond a single squadron of men.

        Right.
      • Dan Giallombardo
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
          Bill,

          Over all of the years we've been on different ACW boards,the
          depth of your knowledge nevers ceases to amaze me.---Dan

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Why did Pemberton not react when informed that Wirt Adams had been
          > > ordered to Edwards by Bowen, leaving Raymond "completely uncovered"?
          >
          > Adams indicated that he was acting on Bowen's order and that he had
          > taken steps to provide some cover for Raymond. Pemberton was
          thininkg
          > that the threat to Edwards was greater than to Raymond.
          >
          > > Instead, he merely repeats his desire that both Edwards and Raymond
          > be
          > > covered by cavalry, which seems to indicate that he was okay with
          > Adams
          > > sending back to Raymond a single squadron of men.
          >
          > Right.
        • Tony Gunter
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
            wrote:
            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Why did Pemberton not react when informed that Wirt Adams had been
            > > ordered to Edwards by Bowen, leaving Raymond "completely uncovered"?
            >
            > Adams indicated that he was acting on Bowen's order

            But that is what has me scratching my head. Pemberton had explicitly
            ordered Adams to leave his regiment in Raymond. Why would an order
            from Bowen supersede an order from Pemberton? And why would Pemberton
            not blow a gasket, especially given that Adams admits that Bowen's
            order has left Raymond completely uncovered at a very critical time?

            > Pemberton was thininkg that the threat to Edwards was
            > greater than to Raymond.

            The threat was certainly greater, but the proximity of the two forces
            was such that there was very little left for cavalry to do in Edwards.
            Dillon's and Raymond were the places most in need of cavalry, one was
            left completely uncovered and the other was left so lightly protected
            that Sherman's cavalry was able to push them out of a very strong
            position with just a brief skirmish.