Re: Speaking of Confederate command problems in May 1863 ...

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > ... by
      > > the time Logan's division deployed into the fields bordering
      Raymond
      > > the next morning, McPherson had a fairly accurate estimate of the
      > > force he was facing.
      >
      > On what do you base this conclusion?
      > If McPherson had a fairly accurate estimate, why did he overstate it
      > when writing to Grant?

      I suppose "fairly accurate" is a relative term. Gregg was attempting
      to lure McPherson across the Fourteen-Mile Creek by making it seem as
      if the bridge was being held by only 35 men. The natural reaction
      would be to rush across the bridge in order to prevent it from being
      burned. McPherson obviously knew that there were thousands of
      Confederates waiting on the other side of that bridge.

      Troops estimates, on the other hand, by civilians tendeed to be high.
      So given that McPherson estimated that he was facing 6,000 men when he
      actually faced 4,000 (counting the reinforcements that showed up
      immediately afterwards), I'm just suggesting that 6,000 is a lot closer
      to the truth than 35.