Re: [civilwarwest] The Colt

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
      In a message dated 10/1/2005 10:51:35 PM Central Daylight Time, keeno2@... writes:
      saw only the Sharps carbines the Unon Troopers had. Did you see a Henry or Spencer? I wasn't paying that much attention. I would imagine that, were I a director without a full cast of Sharps, I'd have the editor pay close attention to what was clearly identifiable.
      Got to learn to read more closely. You, of course, said you thought you saw a Spencer. My bad. Ken
    • lilsteve68@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
        The ending  wasn't the best butover all  I enjoyed it .

        steven
      • banbruner@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
          In a message dated 10/2/2005 12:01:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, keeno2@... writes:
          saw only the Sharps carbines the Unon Troopers had. Did you see a Henry or Spencer? I wasn't paying that much attention. I would imagine that, were I a director without a full cast of Sharps, I'd have the editor pay close attention to what was clearly identifiable.
          I was referring to the main character, I think his name waw Rabb was that a Sharps?  Did sharps have a lever?
          Bill Bruner
        • banbruner@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
            The kids were allowed to name the colt ,  the girl named him Silky and the boy named him Shadow.  His natural name would have been Star. For both his status and his markings.
            Bill Bruner
          • keeno2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
              In a message dated 10/1/2005 11:12:58 PM Central Daylight Time, banbruner@... writes:
              I was referring to the main character, I think his name waw Rabb was that a Sharps?  Did sharps have a lever?
              The Sharps has a lever to jack open the breechblock. With just a brief glance, the two rifles are similar. I thought Rabb was using a Sharps but, like I said, I had only a glance as well. Historically, the Sharps carbine began to be issued to the US Cavalry shortly before Gettysburg. As this was in the Widerness, it is likely (if not probable) that they'd have had Sharps. However, some units did get Spencers. In one particular unit, Wilder's Blue Ligntning Brigade, Wilder personally armed his mounted infantry with Spencers.
              Ken
            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2005
                In a message dated 10/1/2005 11:37:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:
                In this movie I swear I saw a trooper with a rifle with a lever action that I took at the time as a Spencer, but then he treated it as a single shot and I was never able to get another good look at it.  Do directors purposely not show these weapons clearly to avoid issues of authenticity.
                Bill Bruner

                There was a single shot lever action rifle, but I do not believe it came into play until after the CW.   I'll check on this with J. Bilby who just has finished his book on CW lever action weapons.

                JEJ
              • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2005
                  In a message dated 10/2/2005 4:50:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:

                  There was a single shot lever action rifle, but I do not believe it came into play until after the CW.   I'll check on this with J. Bilby who just has finished his book on CW lever action weapons.

                  Later Spencers had a cut-off that allowed the firer to load a single round, thus preserving the magazine for when it was really needed. This appeared at the end of the war, IIRC. Joe would be the best bet for that info.

                  Dave Powell
                • Rick Moody
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2005
                    --- DPowell334@... wrote:

                    > Later Spencers had a cut-off that allowed the firer
                    > to load a single round,
                    > thus preserving the magazine for when it was really
                    > needed. This appeared at
                    > the end of the war, IIRC. Joe would be the best bet
                    > for that info.
                    >
                    > Dave Powell

                    There was a magazine cut off designed in 1865 to allow
                    single shot firing but that model was a 50 caliber and
                    not the standard 52 caliber used in the ACW.
                    Thousands of CW era Spensers were modified by
                    Springfield with the new magazine adding to the
                    already confusing caliber issues associated with these
                    rifles. If there was anything different used during
                    the war Joe would be the only person to know.

                    Rick Moody
                    r_moody@...

                    When you arise in the morning,
                    give thanks for the morning light,
                    for your life and strength.
                    Give thanks for your food,
                    and the joy of living.

                    If you see no reason for giving thanks,
                    the fault lies with yourself.

                    Tecumseh, Shawnee (The Southern People)

                    __________________________________
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • olddude33@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 3, 2005
                      There was a single shot lever action rifle, but I do not believe it came into play until after the CW.  I'll check on this with J. Bilby who just has finished his book on CW lever action weapons.

                      JEJ

                      The Ballard was a single shot lever action .44 cal. carbine. (some carbine... the thing weighed 17 lbs.) It came into use in 1864 when the state of Kentucky purchased 4600 of 'em for the 13th and 45th Kentucky Volunteer Cavalry.

                      The Oldster
                    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 3, 2005
                        In a message dated 10/2/2005 8:43:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, r_moody@... writes:
                        Later Spencers had a cut-off that allowed the firer
                        > to load a single round,
                        > thus preserving the magazine for when it was really
                        > needed. This appeared at
                        > the end of the war, IIRC. Joe would be the best bet
                        > for that info.

                        > Dave Powell

                        There was a magazine cut off designed in 1865 to allow
                        single shot firing but that model was a 50 caliber and
                        not the standard 52 caliber used in the ACW.
                        Thousands of CW era Spensers were modified by
                        Springfield with the new magazine adding to the
                        already confusing caliber issues associated with these
                        rifles.  If there was anything different used during
                        the war Joe would be the only person to know.
                        Well, here is what Joe had to say.

                        As for the Stabler cutoff, it was not used on guns used in the war -- it was a postwar addition to the Model 1865 carbine.

                        Joe

                        JEJ
                      • Michael McKinnon
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 3, 2005
                          IIRC (and sometimes I don't :-) ), the Sharps rifle was used.  This was also a single shot, breech loaded, lever action rifle.

                          Michael

                          olddude33@... wrote:
                          There was a single shot lever action rifle, but I do not believe it came into play until after the CW.  I'll check on this with J. Bilby who just has finished his book on CW lever action weapons.

                          JEJ

                          The Ballard was a single shot lever action .44 cal. carbine. (some carbine... the thing weighed 17 lbs.) It came into use in 1864 when the state of Kentucky purchased 4600 of 'em for the 13th and 45th Kentucky Volunteer Cavalry.

                          The Oldster

                          Yahoo! for Good

                        • John O'Connor
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 4, 2005
                            17 pounds?  Wow, bigger than a Garand.  How about 7 pounds?
                            Jack

                            olddude33@... wrote:
                            There was a single shot lever action rifle, but I do not believe it came into play until after the CW.  I'll check on this with J. Bilby who just has finished his book on CW lever action weapons.

                            JEJ

                            The Ballard was a single shot lever action .44 cal. carbine. (some carbine... the thing weighed 17 lbs.) It came into use in 1864 when the state of Kentucky purchased 4600 of 'em for the 13th and 45th Kentucky Volunteer Cavalry.

                            The Oldster

                            Yahoo! for Good

                            Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
                          • Rick Moody
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 4, 2005
                              --- John O'Connor <hvonbork@...> wrote:

                              > 17 pounds? Wow, bigger than a Garand. How about 7
                              > pounds?
                              > Jack

                              The original Ballards rifle was very heavy. 17 pounds
                              might be high but it is very close for what was
                              considered a Buffalo rifle. They were single shot
                              with rimfire cartriges. It is very hard to find an
                              original CW era Ballard. After the company went broke
                              production was taken over by someone else and they
                              were much lighter. The 1870 era Ballard still weighed
                              over 10 lbs.

                              Rick

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
                                17 pounds?  Wow, bigger than a Garand.  How about 7 pounds?
                                Jack

                                I'll buy that........ not the first time I found questionable info in "Time-Life"...