Re: Ecelbarger's "Black Jack Logan"

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1 5:43 PM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@i...> wrote:
      > Well, that makes me feel better. It is a large book so I'm
      > glad it is an interesting read. I'm beginning if Raymond really
      > took place or was just a made up event on both sides.

      Well, if you're expecting a book heavy with information on Logan's ACW
      exploits, this book is a bit of a disappointment. Given that Logan's
      division carried the day at both Raymond and Champion Hill, I would
      have expected a detailed chapter on each. However, the entire
      Vicksburg campaign is lumped into a single chapter that concludes on
      May 5, 1864 with Logan writing to his wife about preparations for the
      Atlanta campaign.
    • Dave Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2 2:21 PM
        From a Confederate command perspective - and especially during the
        May 1 thru May 18 perspective - not really.

        Dave

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
        wrote:
        > Just curious, Tony.
        >
        > Does anybody get it right? I mean, get any of the actions
        surrounding
        > Vicksburg right? It seems that no recently published author gets
        any of
        > this stuff right.
        >
        > Harry

        Logan's

      • Jfepperson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2 3:19 PM
          In a message dated 10/2/2005 5:22:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dmsmith001@... writes:
          From a Confederate command perspective - and especially during the
          May 1 thru May 18 perspective - not really.
          =====
          Well, I can think of *one* book that does a good job of it ;-)

          JFE
        • Jfepperson@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2 3:27 PM
            In a message dated 10/2/2005 6:24:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, billgower@... writes:

            I think that between the Bearss 3 volume set on the Vicksburg Campaign and Warren Grabau’s Ninety-Eight Days, a person gets an excellent perspective from both sides on what occurred between May 1 and May 18.

            =====
            I understand both of those are good, but I was teasing Dave out his own
            contribution, "Compelled to Appear in Print..."

            JFE
          • Bill Gower
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 2 3:30 PM

              I think that between the Bearss 3 volume set on the Vicksburg Campaign and Warren Grabau’s Ninety-Eight Days, a person gets an excellent perspective from both sides on what occurred between May 1 and May 18.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 2 3:47 PM

                Actually I really enjoyed that book too.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2 9:14 PM
                  --- Jfepperson@... wrote:

                  > Standard Time,
                  > dmsmith001@... writes:
                  >
                  > >From a Confederate command perspective - and
                  > especially during the
                  > May 1 thru May 18 perspective - not really.
                  >

                  > =====
                  > Well, I can think of *one* book that does a good job
                  > of it ;-)
                  >
                  > JFE

                  Don't be coy-Tell
                  Stan