Re: [civilwarwest] Re: The Myth of Nathan Bedford Forrest

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 1, 2005
      In a message dated 9/30/2005 11:21:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time, tmix@... writes:

      Hey Tom,

         Proven that Rommell did not come but was a rumor when another German visited the southeast pre WW2

      A German military attache apparently visited some Virginia battlefields in the early 1930s. He never got to visit any western battles, from what I understand. He did visit VMI as part of a study of Jackson. Robert Krick has some details on this guy in his book, "Conquering the Valley" IIRC.

      Dave Powell
    • hooperjwboro@comcast.net
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 9, 2005
        Been out Gnrl.,   Sorry , I assumed to much
        --
        Respectfully,
        John Hooper

        In a message dated 9/30/2005 6:33:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, hooperjwboro@... writes:
        Dave ,  Gen is suggesting100-5 uses Forrest's tactics without giving him credit, it seems you are content to discredit Forrest.  Nonetheless, Forrest performed at Bryces Cross Roads without anyones manual or any WP training.

        Respectfully,
        John Hooper

        No John, I am not suggesting that 100-5 used Forrest's tactics without giving him credit.   What I am saying, that 57 years before the 100-5 came about, Forrest with forth sight used tactics that epitomize those that can now be found in 100-5. In other words, he used tactics way ahead of his time and that those tactics are still used in today's study of war fighting.  Which is essentially what you stated above about his performance without a manual or WP training.  I started a post that lists the nine principles of war as published in the 100-5 and how 57 years earlier, Forrest demonstrated to perfection those nine principles at Brice's Cross Roads,  but then AOL crashed me   A lot of work for naught.

        JEJ