The Myth of Nathan Bedford Forrest

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 29 11:07 AM
      Tennessee has produced three American presidents. But in the state there are
      more monuments to Nathan Bedford Forrest than there for the three chief
      executives combined.

      However, this has not always been true. Some years ago while visiting that
      small skirmish in Southern Pennsylvania, I purchased a color reprint of a
      22X 8.5 lithograph, done, evidently when money was being raised for the
      Lee/Virginia monument. It is copied from one at the Museum of the
      Confederacy.

      The center shows the caption, "Our Heroes and Our Flags," with a picture of
      Lee flanked by a marching Rebel and a mounted one. Above is a medal (UCV?)
      and below, surrounded by the four Confederate flags, incorrectly labeled as
      "No. 1," "No. 2," "No. 3" and "No. 4." Two is the battle flag, and one,
      three and four are the seven star "Stars and Bars," "Stainless Banner" and
      the final one with the red band. In the middle is a prototype of the
      Virginia monument, with a fancy base and no statues around it. The Monument
      was dedicated in June 1917, so the lithograph must be earlier than that, and
      was printed before the final monument was finalized. Let us date it as circa
      1910. I am assuming that it may have been issued to raise funds for the
      monument.

      What is interesting is that around the perimeter are eighteen Confederate
      leaders. Across the top are, from left to right, Bragg, Beauregard, Davis,
      Alexander Stephens and Stonewall Jackson. Down the left margin, under Bragg,
      are Hood, Powell Hill, Longstreet, and Samuel Cooper. On the right side,
      under Stonewall, we find Sterling Price, Polk, Hardee and JEB Stuart. Across
      the bottom, from under Cooper to under Stuart, we find Wade Hampton, Ewell,
      John Morgan, Kirby Smith and Joe Johnston.

      There are several surprising things about the choice of people to
      commemorate: first, is the inclusion of Old Peter - one would have thought
      that, since this was the height of the Lost Cause, Longstreet would have
      been boycotted. Second, is the division of the men between the East and the
      West: two politicians, one general staff officer, and, by my count, five ANV
      leaders, six AoT and Trans-Mississippi, and four who had notable leadership
      in both (rather arbitrary, my choice of "both" is Beauregard, Hood,
      Longstreet and Joe Johnston.) Without arguing about my divisions, the
      selections are well balanced - but stronger on Westerners.

      And third, who they included. Beside the inclusion of the anathematized
      Longstreet, why John Morgan? The others are all corps and army commanders,
      except for Morgan.

      And, of relevance here, why was Forrest not included? He was a corps
      commander and a lieutenant general. In the early years of the twentieth
      century, was Bedford Forrest not considered to be in the Confederate
      pantheon? If not, when did he become one of the Most Famous Civil War
      Generals? I can not imagine a similar poster today not including Forrest.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

      Please try to understand this. It's not an easy thing to hear, but please
      listen. There is no morality in warfare. You kill children. You kill women.
      You kill old men. You don't seek them out, but they die. That's what happens
      in war. - Paul Tibbets
    • hooperjwboro@comcast.net
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 9, 2005
        Been out Gnrl.,   Sorry , I assumed to much
        --
        Respectfully,
        John Hooper

        In a message dated 9/30/2005 6:33:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, hooperjwboro@... writes:
        Dave ,  Gen is suggesting100-5 uses Forrest's tactics without giving him credit, it seems you are content to discredit Forrest.  Nonetheless, Forrest performed at Bryces Cross Roads without anyones manual or any WP training.

        Respectfully,
        John Hooper

        No John, I am not suggesting that 100-5 used Forrest's tactics without giving him credit.   What I am saying, that 57 years before the 100-5 came about, Forrest with forth sight used tactics that epitomize those that can now be found in 100-5. In other words, he used tactics way ahead of his time and that those tactics are still used in today's study of war fighting.  Which is essentially what you stated above about his performance without a manual or WP training.  I started a post that lists the nine principles of war as published in the 100-5 and how 57 years earlier, Forrest demonstrated to perfection those nine principles at Brice's Cross Roads,  but then AOL crashed me   A lot of work for naught.

        JEJ