[civilwarwest] Re: Rosecrans

  • Jlb4tlb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 179 , Jan 4, 2000
      In a message dated 1/4/00 11:25:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      REGIMENTALFLAG@... writes:

      > What do you think of Rosecrans' actions at Chickamauga?

      Greetings All

      Great question! I would think that he left the battlefield way to soon.
      Thomas was in my mind the General that was needed.

      I hope that we get to hear lots of answers to your question

      Jeff Burk
    • D. W. Plezia
      Message 179 of 179 , Jan 30, 2000
        the coys <thecoy-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=356
        > I do not see Rosecrans' performance at Chickamauga as being that
        bad.
        > If you judge his actions solely on the basis that he 'lost' then you
        have to
        > judge all other Generals on the same basis. I do not think you can do
        that
        > because you would then have to re-write the history of the ANV. :)

        I'm not sure of the rest, but I think Rosecrans committed serious
        mistakes during the campaign. Against Thomas's advice, he divided his
        forces into three sections without knowing where exactly his enemy was.
        He criticized Thomas for not pushing Negley's troops into McLemore's
        Cove faster. Thomas smelled a trap and pulled Negley's division back
        to avoid the ambush Bragg had set. Only thru the foolishness of
        Bragg's subordinates was Rosecrans allowed the chance to regroup his
        Army.

        > Can you base Rosecrans' performance on the order given to General
        Wood?
        > That was a poorly written order that was written by a staff officer
        not used
        > to writing orders. Wood, who was in the presence of his Corps
        Commander
        > MajGen A. D. McCook, should have questioned the order for
        clarification.
        > McCook should have questioned the order for clarification....it was
        his
        > division. Wood might also have had 'issues' with Rosy.

        Rosecrans, apparently reacting to a report from a courier, that a hole
        existed between two units gave the order to fill it to Woods Division.
        He (Rosecrans) did not verify it nor did he send anyone to certify the
        facts. Surely, a situation where a hole in your line the breadth of a
        Division, meant a large breach of command, requiring further
        investigation. You don't set up a battle line and purposely ignore a
        division sized hole (although sometimes it happened). He reacted too
        quickly. I'm sure the exigencies of the crises at hand caused the
        lapse. But, I think this is where Rosecrans ability as a commander can
        be questioned. Thomas, beset on his left with maintaining his line of
        retreat, besieged on his right by the famous Hood and Longstreet and
        barraged by Cleburne and Polk on his center and left has been described
        by others as calm and visibly unperturbed. Not knowing (until about
        3:00PM when Garfield returned to fill him in) what the status of the
        army was on his right, Thomas made his dispositions as calmly and cooly
        as the situation required. Longstreet, later reported he made 25
        separate attacks on Thomas's right. Thomas was planning to strengthen
        his right, protect his rear and no doubt worried as to how, when
        Granger, riding to the sound of battle, moved up with Steedman and went
        right into line and saved that flank from being overrun. Thomas,
        reacted to their appearance with all the passion he ever exhibited by
        telling Steedman that "he was always glad to see him, but, never so
        glad as now, did you bring any ammunition?" Although he planned and
        made an orderly retreat, Garfield wrote that many of the troops in line
        (not aware of the entirety of the catastrophe they had prevented) were
        suggesting that rather than pull out, they stay and attack the
        Confederates. This seems to refute reports that they were demoralized.
        They may have been tired and surrounded, but they were not willing to
        concede defeat. They figured "Old Pap Thomas" would pull it off.

        > Wood moves to the left....one thing that is often forgotten about
        > Rosecrans creating a hole in his line is that he had also ordered
        Davis'
        > division to the left to fill the gap that would be created by Wood's
        > departure. Why? Because as we all know the heaviest fighting was to
        the
        > Union left. Rosecrans was shifting his army to the left to assist
        the able
        > George Thomas. As the movement was taking place....Wood to the
        left, Davis
        > to the left....Longstreet attacks. Timing is everything. In addition,
        > always ask if Wood was still in place would he have been able to hold
        > against the onslaught of Longstreet? I don't know but I doubt it. :)

        Your last question is intriguing. Don't know if Wood could have held
        out. He was faced by Longstreet, Hood and 12,000 of the Confederacies
        finest from the ANV and Tennessee. And they came at him in ranks of
        Brigades (I think). At any rate, it was a whole bunch, moving at one
        point. Also, Rosecrans didn't have much in the way of reserves
        because, as you point out he was fortifying Thomas on his right. But,
        Woods later record, show he was a good and dogged fighter. It was he
        and Wilson that maintained the pressure on Hood all the way to the
        Tennessee River, after Nashville. It was he who captured Orchid Hill
        before the battle of Missionary Ridge. It was his Division with
        Sheridan's that led the way up Missionary Ridge. And when he moved out
        of line to Thomas at Chickamauga, he gave good service on the left. I
        suspect your conclusion is right though, it would have been a good
        fight.

        > Finally, do we judge Rosecrans performance because he left the
        field to
        > go to Chattanooga and Garfield went to Thomas? I don't think
        so....where is
        > the Commanding General's place? I think he should be establishing
        his new
        > lines and HQ, setting up a defense and preparing his army for more
        battle.
        > It is the job of aides and Chiefs-of-staff to deliver orders and to
        > ascertain situations.

        I agree with you throughly! For the reasons you cite. There are those
        that criticized Thomas for not being with Schofield at Franklin (Grant,
        Schofield and Sherman amongst them) and there are those that criticize
        Thomas for not being at the front of Wilson's and Wood's troops during
        the pursuit of Hood after Nashville (Grant). The CinC no longer led
        troops into battle, he HAD to remain in the rear to direct troop
        movements and direct movements of reserves, supplies, pontoon trains
        and munitions. He was in charge of planning and analyzing the various
        facets of strategy as they develop, to destroy his enemy. Can't do all
        that and lead the charge.

        I think Rosecrans at times, was brilliant, in many ways. His
        maneuvering Bragg out of Tennessee was a model of tactics that Napoleon
        would have been proud of. Incidently, it went almost unnoticed in
        Washington. They were apparently impressed with victories measured by
        stacks of corpses and buckets of blood spilled by the victors.
        Obviously such recognition of such successes aided Grant in untold
        measure. But, just as `close' only counts in Horseshoes and Hand
        Grenades, as CinC, the loss at Chickamauga was his. It didn't help
        that he had lost much support in DC some of which he was resposible for.