Other opinions

  • Laurence D. Schiller
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
      At 2:27 PM +0000 9/23/05, civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >My apologies to the group for the tangent. I ask questions to look
      >at other opinions. I may express opinions that are in need of
      >further study. I hope not to denigrate anyones opinion or
      >intentionally provoke displeasure. I have the utmost respect for all
      >lovers of American history.
      >
      >--
      >Respectfully,
      >John Hooper

      John - I respect that, but I would ask one thing - there are all
      sorts of political opinions on this list and I, for one, find it
      offensive to have comments thrown out about the Clintons or other
      modern political issues. It would be easy for me or others to make
      cracks about the right wing, but I'd rather confine the discussion to
      the Civil War.

      Respectfully,

      Laurie Schiller

      --
      Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller
    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
        I have to concur with Laurie on this too. I too have seen a few
        offensive things about people that I admire in today's politics as well.
        I too would find the Right Wing a pleasing target but refrain from doing
        so out of respect to members here. I too love history and enjoy our
        discussions on the American Civil War here and let us leave those
        discussions there in the 1860's and related times.
        Tom

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
          Laurie ,
             You are correct in keeping the discussions free of  non-CW topics especially modern day politics.  The post was in response to a somewhat personal attack  on Sept. 23 from Mr. Gower. And I'll quote,
               "Why is it that those who support the Southern side have to make new definitions for words like starting a war, etc? But then we also just had a president who came from the south and he had to redefine words and terms to maintain his innocence. It must be something in the water down south that says that if you don't accept the truth then change the truth to fit your version of it."
          Evidently ,you did not read the post.

          --
          Respectfully,
          John Hooper

          At 2:27 PM +0000 9/23/05, civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          >My apologies to the group for the tangent.  I ask questions to look
          >at other opinions. I may express opinions that are in need of
          >further study.  I hope not to denigrate anyones opinion or
          >intentionally provoke displeasure. I have the utmost respect for all
          >lovers of American history.
          >
          >--
          >Respectfully,
          >John Hooper

          John - I respect that, but I would ask one thing - there are all
          sorts of political opinions on this list and I, for one, find it
          offensive to have comments thrown out about the Clintons or other
          modern political issues. It would be easy for me or others to make
          cracks about the right wing, but I'd rather confine the discussion to
          the Civil War.

          Respectfully,

          Laurie Schiller

          --
          Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller
        • Steve Saultz
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
            "Laurence D. Schiller" <LDS307@...> wrote:  for one, find it
            offensive to have comments thrown out about the Clintons

                                 But their "funny" & very fun to take pot-shots at...............
                                              Capt.

          • Jfepperson@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
              > But their "funny" & very fun to take pot-shots at...............

              Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Shotgun works hard to make this a
              flame-free zone, and for one side of
              the political divide to start taking shots is patently unfair. I could
              toss dozens of humorous anti-Bush
              comments into the mix here, and probably you wouldn't like it. I
              refrained, even in the face of the
              Clinton comments, out of deference to and respect for Shotgun. If
              comments are going to
              continue coming from your political perspective, that deference is
              going to get used up very
              quickly.

              JFE
            • Stanley Balsky
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                --- Steve Saultz <tristan4th@...> wrote:

                > "Laurence D. Schiller" <LDS307@...>
                > wrote: for one, find it
                > offensive to have comments thrown out about the
                > Clintons
                >
                > But their "funny" & very fun to
                > take pot-shots at...............
                > Capt.

                Bush the other side of the coin.He is a Tragedy.
                Stan

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Steve Saultz
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                              I think your turning a nickel into a dollar......Why don't you just forget about it and move on for goodness sakes....I made one post w/comment...You & few other are taking up many!  I have nothing but respect for Shotgun, and appreciation for this group....And Shotgun can contact me anytime he would like to correct me, as he and Pat have before...It is definately not your place to correct me. And I could care less what you say or how you feel about Mr. Bush.......
                          So, Now that thats out of the way...Lets move on to Western Theater...???

                • hooperjwboro@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                    Your right Capt. ....Mr. Gower started the Clinton thing and I never heard a peep from your current  detractors.
                    --
                    Respectfully,
                    John Hooper

                    Jfepperson@... wrote:

                    > But their "funny" & very fun to take pot-shots at...............

                    Sorry, but I strongly disagree.  Shotgun works hard to make this a
                    flame-free zone, and for one side of
                    the political divide to start taking shots is patently unfair.  I could
                    toss dozens of humorous anti-Bush
                    comments into the mix here, and probably you wouldn't like it.  I
                    refrained, even in the face of the
                    Clinton comments, out of deference to and respect for Shotgun.  If
                    comments are going to
                    continue coming from your political perspective, that deference is
                    going to get used up very
                    quickly.

                    JFE
                  • Dick Weeks
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 28, 2005
                      I have asked that these type comments not be posted to the group. I will
                      not ask again.

                      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                      http://www.civilwarhome.com

                      > > offensive to have comments thrown out about the
                      > > Clintons
                      > >
                      > > But their "funny" & very fun to
                      > > take pot-shots at...............
                      > > Capt.
                      > >
                      > Bush the other side of the coin.He is a Tragedy.
                      > Stan

                    • Stanley Balsky
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 28, 2005
                        My apologies>
                        It will not occur again
                        Stanb

                        --- Dick Weeks <shotgun@...> wrote:

                        ---------------------------------
                        I have asked that these type comments not be posted to
                        the group. I will
                        not ask again.

                        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                        http://www.civilwarhome.com

                        > > offensive to have comments thrown out about the
                        > > Clintons
                        > >
                        > > But their "funny" & very fun
                        > > take pot-shots at...............
                        > > Capt.
                        > >
                        > Bush the other side of the coin.He is a Tragedy.
                        > Stan

                        Civil
                        war chess set
                        American civil war