[civilwarwest] Roscrans

  • Rms1864@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
      Sir: I am currently studying the battle of stones river and was wondering if
      anyone might be able to recommend a biography of roscrans.i would appreciate
      anyone's help.sincerely, Roger Searcy
    • DWer857628@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
        An oldie but still the best (in my opinion) is The Edge of GLory: A Biography
        of General William S. Rosecrans, USA. The author is William Mathias Lamers
        and the book was published in 1961 out of NY City by Harcourt, Brace. A big
        book, nearly 500 pages but read easily.

        Enjoy!

        Douglas Wertsch
      • DWer857628@aol.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
              Dear Roger and group,

              "Edge of Glory" is available from amazon.com at

              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080712396X/civilwarinteractA

              It was out of print for many years before being reissued by Louisiana State University Press last  May.  It does not, alas, seem to be selling very well at least according to Amazon's figures, so you might want to pick up a copy fairly soon as it seems unlikely they will do another printing.

              Kevin Coy must be asleep, offline, or at work not to have weighed in on this topic by now.  Or perhaps he is busy putting together the campaign to construct the Rosecrans Memorial & Statue at Stones River battlefield.  At any rate he is the "go-to guy" on any questions concerning Gen. Rosecrans here, as Susannah Warner is on any matter pertaining to Gen. George Thomas. :-)

              Laurie Chambliss
              Civil War Interactive
              www.almshouse.com

              Rms1864@... wrote:

              Sir: I am currently studying the battle of stones river and was wondering if
              anyone might be able to recommend a biography of roscrans.i would appreciate
              anyone's help.sincerely, Roger Searcy

              Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
              You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
              up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
              http://click.egroups.com/1/332/1/_/14182/_/947012559

              -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1

            • ECM777@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                Roger,
                I am a big Roscrans fan and I am presently reading "The Edge of Glory" by
                William M. Lamers. I've just started, so I can't tell you how good it is,
                but so far it's been very informative. Hope you get a chance to check it out.
                Regards,
                Colleen
              • ECM777@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                • REGIMENTALFLAG@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                    "Edge Of Glory" is the newest and possibly only available biography on
                    Rosecrans. Sorry but I cannot remember the author.

                    Check out the Blue and Gray magazine issue on Stones River.
                    It covers sites that are not within the battlefield park.

                    I'm sure that you have read "Stones River,Bloody Winter In Tennessee" by
                    James Lee McDonough and "No Better Place To Die" by Peter Cozzens,if you
                    haven't,check them out!

                    Eastern National carries all of these titles at Chick-Chatt NMP and Stones
                    River NB.

                    Good Luck!

                    PS,I am a Chickamauga and Shiloh fanatic,and love the Army Of Tennessee!
                  • REGIMENTALFLAG@aol.com