Re: [civilwarwest] O.T.Before I got hooked on the Civil War

  • hvonbork@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 10, 2001

      Folks,
            This enjoyable interlude brought to mind, that famous WW1 American
      aviator, none other than Lt. Phineas Pinkham who graced  the pages of FLYING
      ACES in great fictional and humorous form.  I figured at the time, the
      intrepid Pinkham's many unexplained sneaky trips to Bar Le Duc surely must
      have been a French version of Harold Teen's soda shop!  Ah well.
            Jack

      fool
    • Mimi Loutrel
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 10, 2001
        Yes, Roy Brown.However, to get back to basics would like to suggest "the civil war in the american west" by Alvin M. Josephy,Jr. By the way, when a pre-teen in the 30's was an avid reader of a WW1   mag called "Flying Aces" and even built balsa wood models of the Spad,Camel. Fokkers,Nieuport,albatross,etc,etc.
        Now,lets get back to WBTS in the west.

        Forward the colors!

        George Butler
        Loutrel@...

        Robert Taubman wrote:

        Wasn't the Red Baron shot down by a Canadian pilot?

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 10, 2001
          Yes, he was shot down by Roy Brown, as he was chasing another Canadian
          Wop May. Ah pays to be a Canadian.
          KLT

          Robert Taubman wrote:

          > Wasn't the Red Baron shot down by a Canadian pilot?

        • Baron VonTecumseh
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 10, 2001
            On 10-Mar-01, Robert Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:
            Wasn't the Red Baron shot down by a Canadian pilot?

            At the time,they said he was shot down,by Roy Brown,
            but the angle of the wound strongly suggest,he was shot down from the ground by some Australians
            There is a good site called The Aerodrome.
            The Baron
            > Before I got hooked on the Civil War.I was hooked
            > on WW1 airplanes and pilots.
            > If any of you have an interest or would just like to
            > read some good history,check out
            > Richthofen.com,they have the "Red Barons" book
            > on line.Great Reading. Baron von Tecumseh
            >

            > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
            Sponsor ---------------------~-~>
            > Make good on the promise you made at graduation to keep
            > in touch. Classmates.com has over 14 million registered
            > high school alumni--chances are you'll find your friends!
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/4EEVlB/TM
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Clyde Thompson
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 11, 2001
              --- FLYNSWEDE@... wrote:

              Great Story:Flying Swede
              Clyde

              =====
              Clyde

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • Robert Taubman

                > Before I got hooked on the Civil War.I was hooked
                >  on WW1 airplanes and pilots.
                > If any of you have an interest or would just like to
                > read some good history,check out
                > Richthofen.com,they have the "Red Barons" book
                > on line.Great Reading.   Baron von Tecumseh
                >

                > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
                Sponsor ---------------------~-~>
                > Make good on the promise you made at graduation to keep
                > in touch. Classmates.com has over 14 million registered
                > high school alumni--chances are you'll find your friends!
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/4EEVlB/TM
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Mimi Loutrel-Butler
                loutrel@...
                turtle website: http://www.cybermesa.com/~loutrel
                phone: 505-323-8272
                Rio Grande Turtle & Tortoise Club: http://rgttc.homestead.com/index.html

              • Brad Schall
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 11, 2001
                  George;
                  Do you know where I could obtain the book "Civil War in the West" I'm doing a talk on the California Column.
                  Thanks
                  Brad Schall

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 11, 2001
                    Yes, Amazon.com has it at a good price. Plenty of California material in it, a little shy of Pea Ridge  material, otherwise excellent. Being in New Mexico, read the Glorietta Pass description very closely and was satisfied. Valverde was covered well,too.

                    Enjoy!

                    Forward the Colors!

                    George Butler

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 11, 2001
                      Try some of the antiquarian book dealers as well as BooksAMillion.com.  Another excellent book, IMHO anyway, is Embrace and Angry Wind by Wiley Sword.  It accounts Springhill,  Franklin, and Nashville.  Very vivid account of the privations of the CSA soldiers.

                      Bob Taubman

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 11, 2001
                        Hate to reply to my own post but title should be "Embrace an(not and) Angry Wind".

                        Sorry.

                      • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 11, 2001
                          In a message dated 3/11/01 11:06:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          rtaubman@... writes:

                          << Hate to reply to my own post but title should be "Embrace an(not and)
                          Angry Wind".

                          That book of Sword's has been retitled It is now called the Confederacy's
                          Last Hurrah