[civilwarwest] Roscrans

  • Rms1864@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
      Sir: I am currently studying the battle of stones river and was wondering if
      anyone might be able to recommend a biography of roscrans.i would appreciate
      anyone's help.sincerely, Roger Searcy
    • DWer857628@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
        An oldie but still the best (in my opinion) is The Edge of GLory: A Biography
        of General William S. Rosecrans, USA. The author is William Mathias Lamers
        and the book was published in 1961 out of NY City by Harcourt, Brace. A big
        book, nearly 500 pages but read easily.

        Enjoy!

        Douglas Wertsch
      • DWer857628@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                    Dear Roger and group,

                    "Edge of Glory" is available from amazon.com at

                    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080712396X/civilwarinteractA

                    It was out of print for many years before being reissued by Louisiana State University Press last  May.  It does not, alas, seem to be selling very well at least according to Amazon's figures, so you might want to pick up a copy fairly soon as it seems unlikely they will do another printing.

                    Kevin Coy must be asleep, offline, or at work not to have weighed in on this topic by now.  Or perhaps he is busy putting together the campaign to construct the Rosecrans Memorial & Statue at Stones River battlefield.  At any rate he is the "go-to guy" on any questions concerning Gen. Rosecrans here, as Susannah Warner is on any matter pertaining to Gen. George Thomas. :-)

                    Laurie Chambliss
                    Civil War Interactive
                    www.almshouse.com

                    Rms1864@... wrote:

                    Sir: I am currently studying the battle of stones river and was wondering if
                    anyone might be able to recommend a biography of roscrans.i would appreciate
                    anyone's help.sincerely, Roger Searcy

                    Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
                    You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
                    up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/332/1/_/14182/_/947012559

                    -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1

                  • L.A. Chambliss

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                        Roger,
                        I am a big Roscrans fan and I am presently reading "The Edge of Glory" by
                        William M. Lamers. I've just started, so I can't tell you how good it is,
                        but so far it's been very informative. Hope you get a chance to check it out.
                        Regards,
                        Colleen
                      • ECM777@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                        • REGIMENTALFLAG@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                            "Edge Of Glory" is the newest and possibly only available biography on
                            Rosecrans. Sorry but I cannot remember the author.

                            Check out the Blue and Gray magazine issue on Stones River.
                            It covers sites that are not within the battlefield park.

                            I'm sure that you have read "Stones River,Bloody Winter In Tennessee" by
                            James Lee McDonough and "No Better Place To Die" by Peter Cozzens,if you
                            haven't,check them out!

                            Eastern National carries all of these titles at Chick-Chatt NMP and Stones
                            River NB.

                            Good Luck!

                            PS,I am a Chickamauga and Shiloh fanatic,and love the Army Of Tennessee!
                          • REGIMENTALFLAG@aol.com