Re: [civilwarwest] Braxton Bragg at Chattanooga

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 65 , Mar 5, 2001
      Good Post, although I dont know about Bragg knowing exactly where Rosecrans
      was until he had left the city, Bragg did think quick and pull up a good
      plan.  Bragg was having some severe problems at this time with his Cavalry
      though and wasnt getting good reports in as to the Federals movements, etc.
      I agree that the Kentucky Campaign up to Perryville was great and he had some
      other very good moments, but to be fair he did have several very bad moments
      as well, most notable being the Battles at Chattanooga.  I think Bragg's plan
      for Chickamauga was one of the best, and it probably would have worked if his
      subordinates had followed his orders, another Polkism.  I will also say that
      Wayne is correct in that Bragg's biggest problem was his personality, or lack
      of it.  He wasnt a fool, but not really that likeable and when your chief
      enemy is as charimatic and political as Polk, you have the seeds for failure.
       I often wonder how good some of the other Generals would have been with a
      Chief Subordinate like Polk under their commands.  Remember that Polk's
      insubordination didnt start with Bragg.
    • civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Message 65 of 65 , Mar 1, 2007
        civilwarwest group:

        How many of the participants here follow the threads by "topic'
        and how many by "individual messages" ?

        Let's see if a poll gives an idea.

        o I typically follow threads by "topic"
        o I typically follow threads by "individual messages"
        o I don't know what you're talking about!

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!