Re: [civilwarwest] Braxton Bragg at Chattanooga

  • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 65 , Mar 5, 2001
      The problem with Bragg seems to be that people can see the good things
      he did, but you can just as easily (and maybe more easily) point to the
      bad things he did. I, for one, would take Bragg over Johnston or Hood
      any day (either Johnston). Yes, his KY campaign ended in retreat, but
      it was pretty impressive to have even managed to take it as far as he
      did. I would take issue with Bragg's command problems having allowed
      Buell to get to Louisville ahead of Bragg. My impression is that Bragg
      simply didn't want to face Buell in a showdown battle without Smith,
      which I see as a faltering of Bragg's nerve. Bragg was not an idiot in
      either strategy or tactics, and had he turned and offered Buell battle I
      like the CSA's chances to have established a new defensive perimeter
      along the Ohio. Whether they could have maintained that perimeter in
      the long run is an entirely different story...
      Andy
      P.S.: I find it interesting that the piece on Bragg describes
      Chickamauga as resulting from Rosey overextending himself. I think it
      would be more accurate to say that Rosey refused to believe Bragg wasn't
      in headlong retreat. Credit Bragg with showing some spunk (Johnston
      wouldn't have) and fault Rosey for wanting to believe too much (and you
      won't find me saying a lot of bad things about Rosey). In fact, I have
      read of how Chattanooga was evacuated by Bragg, who then decided to turn
      and fight. My impression is that Bragg evacuated Chattanooga not so
      much because it was untenable, but rather because once he knew where
      Rosey was going to strike (i.e. not at Chattanooga) he concentrated his
      forces to repel him.

    • civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Message 65 of 65 , Mar 1, 2007
        civilwarwest group:

        How many of the participants here follow the threads by "topic'
        and how many by "individual messages" ?

        Let's see if a poll gives an idea.

        o I typically follow threads by "topic"
        o I typically follow threads by "individual messages"
        o I don't know what you're talking about!

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!