Braxton Bragg at Chattanooga

  • josepharose@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 65 , Mar 5, 2001
      FLYNSWEDE@ posted the folowing information on Bragg:

      "After the battle Bragg laid siege to the poorly supplied Federals
      inside the strong fortifications of Chattanooga while the rebellion
      among many of his officers, mainly Polk, Hardee, Longstreet and A.P.
      [D.H.?] Hill, flamed up again. This time Davis came to the Army of
      Tennessee in person in order to try to find a solution. Again he
      supported Bragg, sending Polk and Hill to other commands, leaving
      however, Longstreet who did even more damage than Polk by practically
      throwing away Bragg's entire left flank in Lookout Valley on the west
      side of Lookout Mountain. In the meanwhile large Federal
      reinforcements were concentrated under Ulysses S. Grant and George H.
      Thomas, and the decisive battle of Chattanooga (23-25 November 1863)
      ended in the defeat of Bragg's army."

      Longstreet certainly performed poorly at Chattanooga. Bragg, however,
      committed many, many tactical and strategic blunders there which
      permitted the Federal victory. Even if he was blameless in his
      dealings with his subordinates, a good leader has to deal with them as
      best as can be done.

      Bragg also made several major mistakes--as did his subordinates--at
      Murfreesboro and Chattanooga. You may argue that he wasn't the worst,
      but I can't see how he can be considered all that good.

      Sincerely,
      Joseph

      P.S. I thank you, though, for the kind words in the article about
      George Thomas.
    • civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Message 65 of 65 , Mar 1, 2007
        civilwarwest group:

        How many of the participants here follow the threads by "topic'
        and how many by "individual messages" ?

        Let's see if a poll gives an idea.

        o I typically follow threads by "topic"
        o I typically follow threads by "individual messages"
        o I don't know what you're talking about!

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!