[civilwarwest] Roscrans

  • Rms1864@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
      Sir: I am currently studying the battle of stones river and was wondering if
      anyone might be able to recommend a biography of roscrans.i would appreciate
      anyone's help.sincerely, Roger Searcy
    • Rms1864@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
      • DWer857628@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
          An oldie but still the best (in my opinion) is The Edge of GLory: A Biography
          of General William S. Rosecrans, USA. The author is William Mathias Lamers
          and the book was published in 1961 out of NY City by Harcourt, Brace. A big
          book, nearly 500 pages but read easily.

          Enjoy!

          Douglas Wertsch
        • DWer857628@aol.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
            • DWer857628@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
              • DWer857628@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                      Dear Roger and group,

                      "Edge of Glory" is available from amazon.com at

                      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080712396X/civilwarinteractA

                      It was out of print for many years before being reissued by Louisiana State University Press last  May.  It does not, alas, seem to be selling very well at least according to Amazon's figures, so you might want to pick up a copy fairly soon as it seems unlikely they will do another printing.

                      Kevin Coy must be asleep, offline, or at work not to have weighed in on this topic by now.  Or perhaps he is busy putting together the campaign to construct the Rosecrans Memorial & Statue at Stones River battlefield.  At any rate he is the "go-to guy" on any questions concerning Gen. Rosecrans here, as Susannah Warner is on any matter pertaining to Gen. George Thomas. :-)

                      Laurie Chambliss
                      Civil War Interactive
                      www.almshouse.com

                      Rms1864@... wrote:

                      Sir: I am currently studying the battle of stones river and was wondering if
                      anyone might be able to recommend a biography of roscrans.i would appreciate
                      anyone's help.sincerely, Roger Searcy

                      Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
                      You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
                      up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/332/1/_/14182/_/947012559

                      -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1

                    • L.A. Chambliss

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                          Roger,
                          I am a big Roscrans fan and I am presently reading "The Edge of Glory" by
                          William M. Lamers. I've just started, so I can't tell you how good it is,
                          but so far it's been very informative. Hope you get a chance to check it out.
                          Regards,
                          Colleen
                        • ECM777@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                            Roger,
                          • REGIMENTALFLAG@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
                              "Edge Of Glory" is the newest and possibly only available biography on
                              Rosecrans. Sorry but I cannot remember the author.

                              Check out the Blue and Gray magazine issue on Stones River.
                              It covers sites that are not within the battlefield park.

                              I'm sure that you have read "Stones River,Bloody Winter In Tennessee" by
                              James Lee McDonough and "No Better Place To Die" by Peter Cozzens,if you
                              haven't,check them out!

                              Eastern National carries all of these titles at Chick-Chatt NMP and Stones
                              River NB.

                              Good Luck!

                              PS,I am a Chickamauga and Shiloh fanatic,and love the Army Of Tennessee!
                            • REGIMENTALFLAG@aol.com