Cassandras were needed

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      Cassandras arguing to prepare for the worse case are, by definition,
      derided. Remember the chuckles when the "Y2K disaster" didn't occur - late
      night TV jokes, forgetting that it didn't occur because the Cassandras were
      listened to.

      Knight Ridder Newsservice has a detailed analysis of the breakdowns at
      "Federal government wasn't ready for Katrina, disaster experts say" by Seth
      Borenstein. You can read it at
      http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12528233.htm

      Along the same lines is "Intricate Flood Protection Long a Focus of Dispute
      By Andrew C. Revkin and Christopher Drew at
      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/national/nationalspecial/01levee.html?adxn
      nl=1&adxnnlx=1125593636-DbkYLzduAf8KYwZnMvHM3g

      "A Sad Day, Too, for Architecture" by S. Frederick Starr at
      http://travel2.nytimes.com//2005/09/01/garden/01fred.html details what he
      presently knows about his personal part of the Big Easy and the historical
      damage that has been done.
      Floods are an old story in the Mississippi Valley and the Mark Twain site
      has an excellent book review about the Great 1927 Flood along the lower
      valley at http://www.yorku.ca/twainweb/reviews/barry-01.html

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6376 huddleston.r@...

      "Le sens communn'est pas si commun."
      "Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        In this case there were 'Cassandras'. What was needed was leadership.

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston" <huddleston.r@c...> wrote:
        > Cassandras arguing to prepare for the worse case are, by definition,
        > derided. Remember the chuckles when the "Y2K disaster" didn't occur - late
        > night TV jokes, forgetting that it didn't occur because the Cassandras were
        > listened to.
        >
        > Knight Ridder Newsservice has a detailed analysis of the breakdowns at
        > "Federal government wasn't ready for Katrina, disaster experts say" by Seth
        > Borenstein. You can read it at
        > http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12528233.htm
        >
        > Along the same lines is "Intricate Flood Protection Long a Focus of Dispute
        > By Andrew C. Revkin and Christopher Drew at
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/national/nationalspecial/01levee.html?adxn
        > nl=1&adxnnlx=1125593636-DbkYLzduAf8KYwZnMvHM3g
        >
        > "A Sad Day, Too, for Architecture" by S. Frederick Starr at
        > http://travel2.nytimes.com//2005/09/01/garden/01fred.html details what he
        > presently knows about his personal part of the Big Easy and the historical
        > damage that has been done.
        > Floods are an old story in the Mississippi Valley and the Mark Twain site
        > has an excellent book review about the Great 1927 Flood along the lower
        > valley at http://www.yorku.ca/twainweb/reviews/barry-01.html
        >
        > Take care,
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > Judy and Bob Huddleston
        > 10643 Sperry Street
        > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        > 303.451.6376 huddleston.r@c...
        >
        > "Le sens communn'est pas si commun."
        > "Common sense is not so common." Voltaire
      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          I saw a leader on TV tonight. Some visitors from, I think, England were
          totally lost. There were 5-6 of them feeling they were about to die.
          Desolate, deserted, vandals around, water and destruction all around.
          Totally adrift in a foreign country amass in catastrophe, convinced they
          were about to die, and no one would even know of their deaths. I can't
          think of being in a much worse situation.
          Then an angel appeared. This one was a young African American wearing a
          camouflage t-shirt and hat. He, along with his wife, went over and took
          all of them to safety. The tourist recanted the story to a TV reporter
          and broke down in tears. The tourist said he didn't even know the man's
          name but he saved their lives. He reached over and grabbed him and
          hugged him. The young man said his first name and smiled.
          He then said that he has seen plenty of trucks and stuff around but they
          won't come. And then he said, "If I can walk around any where they (the
          rescuers) sure can." It wasn't bravado. Just a fact.
          That is leadership. He saw a situation and did something about it. He
          didn't convene a meeting, make a speech, thank a senator, or complain.
          He simply saw people in need and helped them.
          So simple. So right. So rare.
          That is leadership.

          Two hours before the above story above aired, the FEMA Director said he
          just became aware that people were even at the Convention Center in New
          Orleans. CNN has known it for a day or two at least. That means I knew
          too and I'm in Indiana. That is not leadership. I hope he is familiar
          with Monster.com.

          Sorry,
          Tom

          <huddleston.r@c...> wrote:
          > Cassandras arguing to prepare for the worse case are, by definition,
          > derided. Remember the chuckles when the "Y2K disaster" didn't occur -
          late
          > night TV jokes, forgetting that it didn't occur because the Cassandras
          were
          > listened to.
          >
          > Knight Ridder Newsservice has a detailed analysis of the breakdowns at
          > "Federal government wasn't ready for Katrina, disaster experts say" by
          Seth
          > Borenstein. You can read it at
          > http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12528233.htm
          >
          > Along the same lines is "Intricate Flood Protection Long a Focus of
          Dispute
          > By Andrew C. Revkin and Christopher Drew at

          http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/national/nationalspecial/01levee.html?
          adxn
          > nl=1&adxnnlx=1125593636-DbkYLzduAf8KYwZnMvHM3g
          >
          > "A Sad Day, Too, for Architecture" by S. Frederick Starr at
          > http://travel2.nytimes.com//2005/09/01/garden/01fred.html details what
          he
          > presently knows about his personal part of the Big Easy and the
          historical
          > damage that has been done.
          > Floods are an old story in the Mississippi Valley and the Mark Twain
          site
          > has an excellent book review about the Great 1927 Flood along the
          lower
          > valley at http://www.yorku.ca/twainweb/reviews/barry-01.html
          >
          > Take care,
          >
          > Bob
          >
          > Judy and Bob Huddleston
          > 10643 Sperry Street
          > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
          > 303.451.6376 huddleston.r@c...
          >
          > "Le sens communn'est pas si commun."
          > "Common sense is not so common." Voltaire

          Yahoo! Groups Links