Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Beauvoir

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 9:45 AM
      According to Larry McCluney, 1st Lt. Commander, Mississippi Division,
      SCV and he has assured  that Beauvoir is salvageable!!!

      House - 65% of the main house still stands.  The porch, windows, doors,
      column &front porch are gone, but the structure still stands.  If the
      structural integrity is good, the house can be repaired.  Status of contents
      is unknown until we're allowed back into the area.

      Library - The first floor is gone, the only thing left on the 1st floor was
      the statue of Davis which had a 3rd national draped across it.  Davis'
      papers, along with his will, was moved upstairs, so they survived.

      Small home where Davis resided - survived

      Other building, such as the gift shop, are gone.

      To view the video of Beauvoir, go to http://www.wlbt.com/
      <http://www.wlbt.com/>  then click on the 2nd Skycopter tour ... this is
      about 16 minutes long ... Beauvoir is about 9:35 on the film.

      We're looking at 2-3 years to repair/rebuilt.  Beauvoir depends heavily on
      tourism for survival, which will present a critical problem while it's being
      repaired.  It's even more critical now that we get the matching funds for
      the federal grant.

      Please consider fundraising within your chapters to help us preserve this
      piece of our heritage.  The notice below is listed on the Mississippi OCR
      Homepage.
    • Norris Darrall
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1 9:53 AM
        Just as an aside, I have a son, a medic in the Indiana Army National
        Guard, who is mobilizing tomorrow morning and heading to Camp Shelby.
      • Michael McKinnon
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1 8:47 PM
          God bless.

          Michael