Re: [civilwarwest] Biloxi, Miss

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
      In a message dated 8/31/2005 4:39:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tsjdmxm2000@... writes:
      Reports are that nothing much remains but the framework.  I hope to hell that they got the contents out.  It's just hard to believe that this storm could do more damage than Camille.

      Michael

      JShelbyMO@... wrote:
      Has anyone seen on the news any information or mention of the Jeff Davis home of Beauvoir in Biloxi, Miss.?

      Did it survive the hurricane???
      An aerial shot of Beauvoir on the Jackson, MS 10:00 news shows
      Beauvoir still standing although severely damaged. Looking at the
      house from the air, the main house is still intact but the gallery and
      columns around the house are gone. It also has a large hole in the
      southwest corner of the roof and all windows and doors are gone. The
      Hayes Cottage just west of the House is no longer there. The Barracks
      in the rear of the House is probably gone as well. The copter did not
      pan far enough to the east to see the condition of the Gift Shop and
      Confederate Museum. From an earlier post, it sounds like the Library
      survived. I was told that many of the artifacts from the museums and
      House were moved to the upper floors Library for safe keeping.
          If the structural integrity of the House is sound, I believe
      Beauvoir can be restored.

      Dan A. McCaskill, Beauvoir Trustee
      Benj. G. Humphreys Camp # 1625
      Indianola, MS

      Dick Weeks just posted this link on another discussion forum, a blog clearinghouse on damage to historical treasures, as a result of Katrina.

      JEJ
    • Ricky Washburn
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
        I live up here in Meridian and we just got our power
        back on at 3pm cst, it was pretty bad this way. but we
        pray for those south of us. I dont really have many
        words for it, just sick to my stomach. because of the
        power outage i was not able to visually see biloxi
        through New Orleans but just was able to and it hurts.
        here we are out of gasoline, water, and in most places
        electricity but things are getting better! some houses
        were destroyed but not the majority thank God.

        _http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050830/NEWS0110/508
        > 30019_

        (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050830/NEWS0110/50830019)

        > I can only imagine the devastation at Confederate
        > Memorial Hall in New
        > Orleans. (And although it may not be CW, the D-Day
        > Museum as well. as all the
        > other historical sites in the area )
        > Steven

        .....Eternally.....