Need help finding an ancestor from Alabama - gasp!

  • Golf4foode@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
      I know Alabama records are notorious for being bad and/or
      incomplete... but what can I do? My maternal grandfather was a Carr,
      and we know at least two generations ago they lived in and around
      Dothan, Alabama. Other nearby towns include Rehoboth, Cottondale and
      Slocum. Besides Carr they might be under the name Spann or Herring.

      Mostly I just need help finding which units came out of the Dothan
      area. I can find the links from there and meet in the middle, but I
      have no idea which units to look for names from.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      God bless,
      Alan Lynn
    • dkilpa3651@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
        I can give you a place to start. http://www.tarleton.edu/~kjones/alregts.html
        This address has many of the Alabama regiments.
      • Wenn40@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2001
          Dear Sir,

                      Prehaps you should check the county library.  Prehaps there is a
          book over your county's history, which may list the regiments that were
          formed in your area.