[civilwarwest] newbie

  • Nils Feller
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2000
      Hi everybody!
      I'm new here (actually, this is my first ever discussion forum)and quite excited
      about it.
      My name is Nils Feller, I'm a history teacher from Germany -so please be
      tolerant regarding my English- and got into the Civil War while visiting
      Virginia a few years ago (yeah, I know, eastern theater...). So far, I've done
      some basic reading, McPherson, Foote, Catton amd Jeffrey Wert's biography of
      James Longstreet. As you see, I'm not as well read as you Civil War buffs, but
      I'm willing to learn and open to suggestions. Can any of you recommend "The
      White Tecumseh" by Stanley Hirshson? It's what I was planning to read next, but
      I'd be glad if I could get some reviews by the experts...
      I'm really looking forward to taking part in your future discussions, though I
      doubt that I can actually contribute as much as you, but I'm here to learn!
    • michael.d.cantor@us.arthurandersen.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2000
        Nils:

        Welcome aboard! While I have not read "The White Tecumseh", I can point you to
        Amazon.com, where a number of folks have posted reviews of the books. Try this
        link:

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471175781/qid=946990547/sr=1-2/102-5091040-1215252

        In addition, Barnes and Noble.com also has a number of reviews posted for the
        book:

        http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2XC5QSXY98&mscssid=C791X7CJQSSH2NTK0017QU6ALC2HDSE1&srefer=&isbn=0471175781

        Hope this helps!

        Take care,

        Mike Cantor

        the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
        In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
        reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
        to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other
        information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
        firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
      • michael.d.cantor@us.arthurandersen.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2000
            Nils Feller wrote:
            Hi everybody!
            I'm new here (actually, this is my first ever discussion forum)and quite excited
            about it.
            My name is Nils Feller, I'm a history teacher from Germany -so please be
            tolerant regarding my English- and got into the Civil War while visiting
            Virginia a few years ago (yeah, I know, eastern theater...). So far, I've done
            some basic reading, McPherson, Foote, Catton amd Jeffrey Wert's biography of
            James Longstreet. As you see, I'm not as well read as you Civil War buffs, but
            I'm willing to learn and open to suggestions. Can any of you recommend "The
            White Tecumseh" by Stanley Hirshson? It's what I was planning to read next, but
            I'd be glad if I could get some reviews by the experts...
            Hi Nils,

                    Welcome to the Western Theater of the American Civil War. Glad to have you aboard.  I can't speak to "White Tecumseh" since I haven't read it.  However, it looks like, just from what you say you have read you are coming right along in your study of the late unpleasantness.  Of course McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom" of course is a must read when studying anything about the Civil War. I, personally, love Shelby Foote (especially his trilogy of the war).  Even though he is not a historian, he certainly tells a good story.  If you get the chance, you should get the audio tape(s) "Stars in Their Courses" narrated by Foote.  This is the part of his trilogy of war that deals with the three days at Gettysburg.  The only thing I can say about Wert's Longstreet bio is that it beats the heck out of what Longstreet wrote about himself in "From Manassas to Appomattox".  That was written more in defense of himself because of all the bad publicity he was getting at the time.  By the way, some discussion of Longstreet is appropriate in this group.  He did have some participation in the Western Theater.  To me, he was a great Corps commander but did not have the capability of independent command (personal opinion).  I could also say the same thing about Hood.
                    Speaking of Hood, during the holidays I did a little updating of my website.  When I would looking at the Battles section I found that the page(s) for Nashville were sorely lacking in content so I starting adding data to it.  While I only have about ORs on there right now (I will add a lot more as time allows) I do have quite a bit of other good information.  If anyone is interested, that battle can be found at:

                    The Battle of Nashville
                    http://www.civilwarhome.com/nashville.htm

            It would be nice if some of you experts in the this area would share some of your knowledge on Hood's foray into Tennessee with the rest of us.  I have some difficulty in this area.  I understand basically what he was trying to do and have some very basic knowledge of the debacle at Franklin, but for the life of me I have trouble understanding why he took his army to Nashville after being chewed up so bad at Franklin. Seems to me that seeing five of your finest commanders laid out dead on a front porch might tell you that it's time to reevaluate what you are trying to do.  Hood, other than leaving little parts of his body on various battlefields, was a pretty good lower level commander, he showed this at Gettysburg, however, I'm not sure he should have ever been given command of an army.  But given the choice of him or Joe Johnston, he might have been the lesser of two evils.  One, Hood, loved to fight but really didn't know how, while the other, Johnston, probably knew how to fight but was very reluctant to do so. It is a puzzlement.

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            http://www.civilwarhome.com

          • Dick Weeks

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2000
                Welcommen Nils-
                Relax. Some of the postings here will make you feel quite
                Shakesperean.
                Heros
              • Hvonbork@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2000
                    Nils.Feller

                    Guten Tag Nils

                    Welcome zum civilwarwest.

                    I was stationed in Germany for eight years, and my Deutsch is terrible. But
                    welcome to the group. I'm sure your contributions will be great for the
                    group.

                    Gary

                  • Gary Baker